Sunday school Text Books

  • Jacob V Joshua
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2011
      Dear Chev. Thomas Abraham and all,

      Delhi Diocese never said that the text books of class 1 to 12 are being printed.  We said that the text books of class 1 to 10 are being printed in Delhi since the MJSSA HQ have regretted their inability to do so.  To say more accurate, we have at present CD & MJSSA website printouts of class 1 to 9 in our computers/mail.  Regarding class 10 they have confirmed that translation is on
      the completion stage.  However, we plan to print the textbooks on the basis of the MJSSA website/CD which contains class 1 to 9.  If we don't get the text book of class 10 by the time we print text books upto class 9, this year we will follow the old text book of class 10 which we used in 2010.  We don't bother whether MJSSA has witdrawn class 8 & 9 from their site recently.

      However, according to my personal view, this change of the text books is not a necessary one at this stage since they are unable to supply new text books.  In the revised editions also there are many mistakes.  I would suggest, these translations must be given to an expert group to check and edit and this expert committee should include scholars and learned persons of the clergy and laity. H.G. Kuriakose Mor Theophilos, H.G. Geevarughese Mor Coorilos, H.G. Pathros Mor Osthathios, Very Rev. Kurien Cor-episcopa Kaniamparambil, Very Rev. Kuriakose Cor-Episcopa Moolayil, Dr. D Babu Paul, etc., etc. are some of the names which comes into my mind immediately.  There may be more people like these to be included.  MJSSA should take initiative in this regard.

      Moreover, as I said earlier it is a moral responsibility of the MJSSA to provide English Text Books to the children of the Church.  But, what could they do when some people are happy with the computer print copies and don't want to buy the books if it is printed and published.

      With prayers,

      Jacob V Joshua, New Delhi
      0911
    • Geevarghese
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2011
        Hi Shlomo in Christ.

        This has referenece to Mr. Josuha's letter regarding MJSSA books. I would humbly request all the members of the forum to address this issue very seriously.We have to focus on our most important resource ie our future generations. If the MJSSA and our Church leadership do not have time for the future generations meaning the scenario is really bad. Sunday School is the only organisation or body in our church which is educating our future generationson with the basics of our faith and traditions .If we do not arm them (all Sunday Schools, teachers and children) with all our; best resources our future generations will easily go astray or turn to pentecostal churches and other religions.

        I am from Dubai Church and I have gone through the same problems 7 years ago. We got the CD containg the Sunday Schhol books from Std I to Std IX. and we use to take the photocopies and give them to the Students and Teachers. Few years later MJSSA have printed the same at Puthencruz and we were able to get some copies. In those copies there were lot of mistakes, some of them were corrected and again it is reprinted. Still it is not easily understandable to the children and teachers alike.

        My suggestions:

        The Church leadership should take this very seriously.If not we all should put pressure on them. How much money we are wasting for fighting each others in courts etc. We are paying a lot of money for other silly issues.Our only asset is the future generation and we should educate them about Jesus our Saviour, our faith, the importance of our traditions and teachings of our ancestors.

        Now if you are going to reprint the data on the CD, please correct the mistakes and make it easliy understandable to the teachers and children. The books were written by high Doctoral persons whose language is not easy for the common people.So please correct the spellings, annotations and also restructure the complex; sentences. It is either written in high language or some wrong transalation from the Malayalam (texts) to English

        Thirdly if the text books needed to printed in Tulu or Konkani or other languages also the church leadership should facilitate it.

        Please let me know if I can be any help to you in this regards

        In Christ
        Geevarghese
        From the desk of the Moderators:

        Please sign your messages with member ID. If you do not have a member ID, please send your details including contact number to moderators (SOCM-FORUM-owner@yahoogroups.com) and obtain a member ID BEFORE POSTING ANY MORE MESSAGES in SOCM. Thank you for your cooperation.
      • Jai Abe Cheriyan
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2011
          Dear Sri.Jacob V Joshua,

          Your suggestion regarding review committee is most welcome, I was thinking similar way! I think Rev. Fr. Mani Rajan Corepiscopa,Rev. Fr.George V. Vayaliparambil, Chev. Thomas Abraham and Jacob V Joshua(you) could also included in the reviewer list.Representative from each of outside Kerala diocese and MJSSA central committee could be included in the panel, and the panel members' names should be published in the textbooks.

          Any way you started the initiative of printing process, why not start with the review process? I don't think it is impractical and we need to wait for MJSSA central leadership for the same, whereas it would ensure quality printed material even though some time delay might occur. Please contact each outside Kerala diocese and MJSSA central leadership, finalize a review panel with the selected member's consent, let the review and correction done and then start printing. Have some pictures also in each chapter!

          Please publish the e mail ids with a space around @ (otherwise we can't read the correct mail ids). I don't think money is an issue, assuming some would definitely donate from their "dasamsam" and at least one SOCM member's "dasamsam" covers your need of 1 Lac rupees!! May God bless your efforts.Message of anybody from the MJSSA central leadership in this regard would be a great support.Hope that everybody would support any quality initiative from our Church members.

          Thanks & regards,

          In HIS Love,
          Jai Abe Cheriyan