Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

    Message 1 of 153 , Jan 30, 2011
      READ: Deut. 11:18-21Appended

      Train up a child in the way he should go. Proverbs 22:6

      As an umpire stood behind the plate at a girls softball game, he heard a player's mother start chanting: We want a new ump! We want a new ump!� Soon, other parents took up the chant. The ump smiled, then turned toward the crowd and yelled, I want new parents! I want new parents!� The heckling died away.

      It's important for parents to set a good example, because their children are watching them. Christian parents can encourage good habits and behavior by doing things like:

      Praying for and with them so they learn how to talk with God. Continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant in it� (Col. 4:2).

      Reading and teaching them the Bible so they learn God's truth. Teach [God's commands] diligently to your children, . . . talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up� (Deut. 6:7).

      Telling them about Jesus and leading them to faith in Him. Unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God� (John 3:3).

      The best way to set a good example for our children is to live out our faith in front of them. While they're looking they're learning about what matters most. - Cindy Hess Kasper

      Take stock of yourself and consider your child
      Your time and your thoughts are his due;
      How would you reply to the Lord should He ask,
      What kind of parent are you? - Anon.

      Children may not inherit their parents talent, but they will absorb their values.

      Deuteronomy 11:18-21 (New International Version)

      18 Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.
      19 Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.
      20 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates,
      21 so that your days and the days of your children may be many in
      the land the LORD swore to give your ancestors, as many as the days that the heavens are above the earth.
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.