Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

    Message 1 of 153 , Jan 2, 2011
      READ: 1 Peter 4:12-19 Appended

      Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you.
      —1 Peter 4:12

      Does it surprise you that trouble is a part of life? Probably not. We all know
      trouble close-up and personal—bad health, empty bank account, blighted love,
      grief, loss of job, and the list goes on.
      It shouldn’t surprise us, therefore, that God permits the added trials of
      being ridiculed and hated because we follow Christ (1 Peter 4:12). But trouble,
      whether it is common to man or unique to Christians, can reveal to us the moral
      fiber of our soul.

      I have never seen a golf course without hazards. They are part of the game.
      Golfers speak of the courses with the most hazards as the most challenging, and
      they will travel a long way to test their skill against the most demanding 18
      holes.

      Oliver Wendell Holmes said, “If I had a formula for bypassing trouble, I
      wouldn’t pass it around. I wouldn’t be doing anyone a favor. Trouble creates a
      capacity to handle it . . . . Meet it as a friend, for you’ll see a lot of it
      and you had better be on speaking terms with it.”

      Let’s not think it strange when trouble comes, for God is using it to test the
      stamina of our souls. The best way to handle trouble is to commit our “souls to
      Him in doing good, as to a faithful Creator” (v.19). —Dennis De Haan

      The troubles that we face each day
      Reveal how much we need the Lord;
      They test our faith and strength of will
      And help us then to trust God’s Word. —D. De Haan

      Great triumphs are born out of great troubles.
      Suffering for Being a Christian 12 Dear friends, do not be surprised at the
      fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were
      happening to you. 13 But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings
      of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. 14 If you
      are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of
      glory and of God rests on you. 15 If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer
      or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler. 16 However, if you
      suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that
      name. 17 For it is time for judgment to begin with God’s household; and if it
      begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel
      of God? 18 And,

      “If it is hard for the righteous to be saved,
      what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?”[a]
      19 So then, those who suffer according to God’s will should commit themselves
      to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.

      Footnotes:
      1. 1 Peter 4:18 Prov. 11:31 (see Septuagint)
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.