Woman, what have I to do with thee?

  • Mathew Chacko
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2011
      John 2:1 - "Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come".

      Undoubtedly, we all have listened interpretations of this verse during first sunday sermon in Holy 50 day lent.Priests are hellbent to prove and convince the faithful that its no way degrades relationship of Mother of God, Mary and Jesus.Priests bring out all of their speaking and convincing skills to send this message across the faithful.

      Let me recall a sermon of L.L. Rev. E .P. Jacob(BA,LT,BL) popularly known as Elanjickalachen, Elanjickal, Niranam in a book published on his 20th death aniversary.It was published some time during the year 1985-86 and I don't have a copy.(He was a successful laywer practised at Kerala High Court and later submitted to Priestly service on vocation).

      Elanjickalachen has quoted following verses
      Mathew 8:29 (KJV) - And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? - Response came out of fear

      1Kings 17:18(KJV)- And she said unto Elijah, What have I to do with thee, O thou man of God? - Response came out of fear

      He has quoted similar verses from other parts of bible also which I am not able to recall."What have I to do with thee" is an expression in Hebrew indicates fear. So Jesus too said it out of fear since He was unsure of whether performing a miracle at that time conforms to will of God the Father.For this reason Jesus has said "mine hour is not yet come".

      It is a unique interpretation by Elanjickalachen and I have never heard it anywhere.

      Its written from my memory and any shortcomings are regretted.

      May God Bless Us All

      Mathew Chacko
      ID#2382