Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

    Message 1 of 153 , Dec 31, 2010
      READ: Psalm 63:1-8 Appended

      My soul thirsts for You; my flesh longs for You. —Psalm 63:1

      A hotel in Singapore introduced an express buffet—eat all you can in 30
      minutes and pay just half the price! After that experience, one diner reported:
      “I lost my decorum, stuffing my mouth with yet more food. I lost my civility, .
      . . and I lost my appetite for the rest of the day, so severe was my
      heartburn.”

      Sometimes I think in our devotional reading we treat God’s Word like an express
      buffet. We wolf it down as fast as we can and wonder why we haven’t learned
      very much. Like physical food, spiritual food needs chewing! For those of us
      who have been Christians for a long time, we may have a tendency to speed-read
      through the passages we’ve read many times before. But in doing so, we miss
      what God is meaning to show us. One sure sign of this is when we learn nothing
      new from that passage.

      David’s desire was right when he wrote in Psalm 119:15, “I will meditate on
      Your precepts, and contemplate Your ways.” That’s the way to treat God’s
      Word—to take time to mull it over.
      Let’s not come to the Bible as if we were going to an express buffet. Only by
      meditating on God’s Word will we get the most value for our spiritual
      well-being. —C. P. Hia

      Spending time in meditation,
      Hiding Scripture in our heart,
      Works in us a transformation
      So from sin we can depart. —Sper

      Reading the Bible without reflecting is like eating without chewing.
      Psalm 63[a] A psalm of David. When he was in the Desert of Judah.
      1 You, God, are my God,
      earnestly I seek you;
      I thirst for you,
      my whole being longs for you,
      in a dry and parched land
      where there is no water.
      2 I have seen you in the sanctuary
      and beheld your power and your glory.
      3 Because your love is better than life,
      my lips will glorify you.
      4 I will praise you as long as I live,
      and in your name I will lift up my hands.
      5 I will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods;
      with singing lips my mouth will praise you.
      6 On my bed I remember you;
      I think of you through the watches of the night.
      7 Because you are my help,
      I sing in the shadow of your wings.
      8 I cling to you;
      your right hand upholds me.
      Footnotes:
      1. Psalm 63:1 In Hebrew texts 63:1-11 is numbered 63:2-12.
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.