Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

    Message 1 of 153 , Dec 30, 2010
      READ: Psalm 111 Appended

      For You, Lord, have made me glad . . . ; I will triumph in the works of Your
      hands. —Psalm 92:4

      I’ve always thought that you can see the hand of God best in the rear view
      mirror. Looking back, it’s easier to understand why He placed us in the home
      that He did; why He brought certain people and circumstances into and out of
      our lives; why He permitted difficulties and pain; why He took us to different
      places and put us in various jobs and careers.

      In my own life, I get a lot of clarity (though not perfect clarity—that’s
      heaven’s joy!) about the wise and loving ways of God as I reflect on the ways
      He has managed my journey by “the works of [His] hands” (Ps. 92:4). With the
      psalmist, it makes me glad and strikes a note of joy in my heart to see how
      often God has assisted, directed, and managed the outcomes so faithfully (Ps.
      111).

      Looking ahead, though, is not always so clear. Have you ever had that lost
      feeling when the road ahead seems twisted, foggy, and scary? Before you move
      into next year, stop and look in the rear view mirror of the year gone by, and
      joyfully realize that God meant it when He said, “‘I will never leave you nor
      forsake you.’ So we may boldly say: ‘The Lord is my helper; I will not fear’ ”
      (Heb. 13:5-6).

      With the promise of God’s presence and help in mind, you can move ahead into
      2011 with utmost confidence. —Joe Stowell

      Shall not He who led me safely
      Through the footsteps of this day
      Lead with equal understanding
      All along my future way? —Adams

      God’s guidance in the past gives courage for the future.
      Psalm 111[a] 1 Praise the LORD.[b]
      I will extol the LORD with all my heart
      in the council of the upright and in the assembly.
      2 Great are the works of the LORD;
      they are pondered by all who delight in them.
      3 Glorious and majestic are his deeds,
      and his righteousness endures forever.
      4 He has caused his wonders to be remembered;
      the LORD is gracious and compassionate.
      5 He provides food for those who fear him;
      he remembers his covenant forever.
      6 He has shown his people the power of his works,
      giving them the lands of other nations.
      7 The works of his hands are faithful and just;
      all his precepts are trustworthy.
      8 They are established for ever and ever,
      enacted in faithfulness and uprightness.
      9 He provided redemption for his people;
      he ordained his covenant forever—
      holy and awesome is his name.
      10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom;
      all who follow his precepts have good understanding.
      To him belongs eternal praise.
      Footnotes:
      1. Psalm 111:1 This psalm is an acrostic poem, the lines of which begin with
      the successive letters of the Hebrew alphabet.
      2. Psalm 111:1 Hebrew Hallelu Yah
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.