Cyril of Alexandria

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 27, 2010
      And because He was God, ineffably made flesh, He knew only the good and was exempt from that depravity that belongs to humanity. And this too is an attribute of the supreme Substance, for that which is good by nature, firmly and unchangeable, belongs specially to it, and it only, for there is none good but God, as the Savior Himself has said.

      Cyril of Alexandria, Homilies on the Gospel of Luke
      Ancient Christian Doctrine, Volume 2
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 27, 2012
        Jesus calls the quickening gift of the Spirit "living water" because mere human nature is parched to its very roots, now rendered dry and barren of all virtue by the crimes of the devil. But now human nature runs back to its pristine beauty, and drinking in that which is life-giving, it is made beautiful with a variety of good things and budding into a virtuous life, it sends out healthy shoots of love toward God.

        Cyril of Alexandria, Commentary on the Gospel of John 2:4
        From: On the Way to the Cross
        http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/13820615/on-the-way-to-cross
      • Mark Sedrak
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 8, 2012
          Learning from the Gospel would therefore be truly good, as would the force of life in Christ. So it must be proclaimed to the lovers of the text, "Learn to do good, and seek out justice", that is, judge fairly.

          Cyril of Alexandria, Commentary on Isaiah, Volume 1, Chapter 1:17
        • Mark Sedrak
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 21, 2012
            For while it is men's duty to examine themselves, and to order their conduct according to God's will, they leave this alone to busy themselves with the affairs of others: and if they see any infirm, forgetting as it seems their own frailties, they make it an excuse for faultfinding, and a handle for calumny.

            For they condemn them, not knowing that being equally afflicted with the same infirmities as those whom they censure, they condemn themselves.

            Cyril of Alexandria, Commentary on the Gospel According to St. Luke
            http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2311078/the-bible-and-holy-fathers-for-orthodox
          • Mark Sedrak
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 20, 2013
              O sublime condescension! The Creator gives himself to his creatures for their
              delight. Life bestows itself on mortals as food and drink. “Come, eat my body,”
              he exhorts us, “and drink the wine I have mingled for you. I have prepared
              myself as food. I have mingled myself for those who desire me. Of my own will I
              became flesh and have become a partaker of your flesh and blood. . . . Eat of
              me as I am life, and live, for this is what I desire. . . . Eat my bread, for I
              am the life-giving grain of the wheat, and I am the bread of life. Drink the
              wine I have mingled for you, for I am the draught of immortality. . . . I am the
              true vine; drink my joy, the wine that I have mingled for you.”

              Cyril of Alexandria, Meditation on the Mystical Supper 10
              Sunday Sermons of the Great Fathers, Volume 1
              http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2261143/sunday-sermons-of-the-great-fathers-4