Re: Using 'x' as short cut for Christ

  • Rev. Dr. Stephen Duncan
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2010
      Many educated Christians realize it is not an "x", but a CHI (gk X) which is the first letter of the word Christos in Greek (chi rho iota sigma tau) IC XC for Jesus Christ in Greek is found on icons throughout the world - even in Latin and Syrian jurisdiction churches. While it is not Syrian, it is very early Christian to use X or XC as a shortcut to represent Christ. IC XC NIKA Jesus Christ Victory is used throughout the Greek churches for Saint Constantine's vision, the Latins use IHS - in this sign - the cross.

      Likewise kindest of regards to all Syriac Christians and friends.

      Rev. Dr. Stephen Duncan

      --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Rajan Varghese wrote:

      > Wish you all a happy and blessed new year 2011
      >
      > Please educate people who are using 'x' as short cut for Christ for Christmas...............
      >
      > I feel the use of 'x' is from some non Christian who does not like Christ our saviour.
    • Dr Thomas Joseph
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 31, 2010
        The letter 'X' - the Greek letter pronounced 'chi' - has been in use as a short-hand for 'Christ' for over a millenium in Greek manuscripts. X is the first letter in the Greek word 'Christos' and in days where materials for scribing manuscripts were expensive, a short form of the frequently recurring word, 'Christ,' was naturally preferred. The abbreviation XP for 'Chi''Rho' (the first two letters) was also employed.

        X-mas has been used for Christmas in English, following the Greek manuscript tradition, since the 1500s.

        I recommend the video clip on Merriam-Webster on the topic - http://www.merriam-webster.com/video/0022-xmas.htm?&t=1293824712. There are many other websites that address this matter.

        Regards,
        Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
        Tech. Editor, Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies [ http://bethmardutho.cua.edu/Hugoye/ ]
        Web Master, Syriac Orthodox Resources [ http://sor.cua.edu/ ]
        ID: 0202
      • Robert Robinson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2011
          The X is a shortened form of the Greek word Xristos. The full form would be XP.

          Robert Robinson
          From the desk of the Moderators:

          Please sign your messages with member ID. If you do not have a member ID, please send your details including contact number to moderators (SOCM-FORUM-owner@yahoogroups.com) and obtain a member ID BEFORE POSTING ANY MORE MESSAGES in SOCM. Thank you for your cooperation.
        • Abraham
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 6, 2011
            Sir,

            With all respect,Jacobite are always considered as a 'easy target' for anyone to attack.The reason may be since Jacobite families mostly comes from "farming" communiites,they are not known to the tricks of this world.

            Jacobite church are just being closed here and there but not a single church closed by Jacobites.

            Even see the drama - When the Miracle happened at KATTACHIRA palli - Orthodox called its a "Thattippu". So much of hatredness these guys have!

            You tell me who is acting? Who is creating issues? Now the Judiciary itself is in Scandals? If someone says that the so called order favoring Orthodoxians are "manufactured" - Can you reject it?

            Is it good to say on TV - India VIsion - Sunday (SPL Correspondent), Some Dr Joseph telling that there is no Jacobites in this world?

            Should we accept that and let all Jacobites go to some other church or start own church (Which is again a stunt - they didnt allow Parumala new church)

            What is this? Some RICH people guiding a section to distroy another christians?

            Abraham
            3567

            What dispute are you talking about