New year Message - 2011

  • Rev. Fr. Paulose V V
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2010
      New Year 2011 - Message

      “Nazareth! Can anything good come from them?" Nathaniel asked.

      " Come and see,” said Philip. (John 1:46)

      It is the clarion call to all the weary and laden to come to
      Jesus and find comfort. Unmask all our hubris of false thinking of status; knowledge, name, power, beauty, and the futility of humans striving to becoming a superman.

      Years come and go, resolutions are made and broken, days dawn
      and set, but human life rolls and rolls with its own sufferings without an end to this saga of life like the curse of Sisyphus - the figure of Greek mythology who was condemned to repeat forever the task of pushing a boulder up a mountain, only to see it roll down again.

      To brake this epic curse, there is the one and only panacea -
      unmask our hypocrite life and fall at the feet of our God and Saviour, Jesus Christ. He is the only God who was born as a man and died on the Cross to save you and me. "He said to them. Come and see. They came and saw” (John 1:39). Jesus said, "I am the alpha and the Omega - the beginning and the end. To all who are thirsty, I will give freely from the springs of the water of life” (Revelation 21:6). "Anyone who drinks this water will soon become thirsty again. But those who drink the water I give, will never be thirsty again. It becomes a fresh, bubbling spring within them, giving them eternal
      life” (John 4:13,14).

      In my 25 years of priestly life, I have never rested like this, from
      23rd December 2009 to 30th November 2010. During this period, I have been away from my regular priestly routines, have been separated from my loved ones, my pet projects and work. Fortunately, my happiness and solace have been in prayer, fasting, and meditation on Jesus. Now even if I had the moon in my hand, I am sure I will not be as happy as I am now in the company of Jesus in prayer. So I invite all of my brothers and sisters to come and see where Jesus resides - in prayer. You will never ever fail, be bored or pitied later.

      In faith, try his name in your daily practical life. One Sunday, Rev Dn. Jino and I were coming back from Arakonam to Chennai in India around 11 PM by car after the Holy Qurbana. Being tired after a long journey, I must have dozed off and suddenly lost control of the vehicle that I was driving. It went and stopped inside a colony of huts. The cracking sound of the bamboo sticks that supported the huts startled me. By the Grace of God, nobody was hurt. I saw a group of the colony people with sticks and they started to beat me without mercy. In the dangerous situation that I was in, I told them that I am a Christian priest. Immediately, all the sticks were put down and they spared my life. The power of the name of Christ can never be measured. "For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved” (Romans 10: 13).

      So with great unfailing hope, we can call Jesus' name and start
      2011. Let the echo of His name be filled in the four corners of the earth.

      Paulose Achen
      Toronto Saturday 1 January 2011