Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

    Message 1 of 153 , Dec 27, 2010
      READ: James 1:21-27 Appended

      Love the Lord your God, . . . obey His voice. —Deuteronomy 30:20

      As my wife reviewed her day, she told me about an incident that took place
      with our granddaughter Eliana, who was visiting. Eliana had been playing with
      some toys, so when she wanted to go to another part of the house, Grandma told
      her, “Eliana, you need to put your toys away first.” Without missing a beat,
      Eliana replied, “I don’t have time.”

      She was just 2 years old at the time, so she was definitely not running on a
      packed schedule!
      I wonder sometimes if God might be a bit surprised with us when He hears our

      For instance, when Jesus says, “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy
      laden” (Matt. 11:28), and we say, “I can’t go on. I have too many troubles and
      problems,” I wonder what He thinks. When He says, “Be still, and know that I am
      God” (Ps. 46:10), and we say, “I can’t fit You into my schedule,” I wonder what
      He thinks. When He says, “Be holy, for I am holy” (1 Peter 1:16), and we say,
      “But the world looks like so much fun,” I wonder what He thinks.

      God has spoken. Obedience is the best way to honor Him for what He has done
      for us and to show Him how much we love Him. —Dave Branon

      Master, speak, and make me ready,
      When Thy voice is truly heard,
      With obedience glad and steady,
      Still to follow every word. —Havergal

      Our desire to please God is our highest motive for obeying God.

      James 1:21-27 (New International Version, ©2010)
      21 Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and
      humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.

      22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it
      says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like
      someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes
      away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But whoever looks intently
      into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting
      what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.

      26 Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on
      their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. 27 Religion
      that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after
      orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by
      the world.
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.