Re: Simhasanam in the Church - The Holy See of Antioch

  • Mathew G M
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 21, 2010
      Dear Mr. V T John,

      First let me state, I hope and pray that our connection with the Holy See of Antioch stays strong. However this connection should be based on a correct understanding of Orthodoxy.

      St. Peter is the chief among the apostles.

      We have to understand that by chief or head among the apostles, we mean St. Peter was like an elder brother to the Apostles. He was not a father figure.

      We also know that St. Peter appointed a Bishop in Antioch.

      The question is, does the present Bishop of Antioch succeed all the Apostles? or does he just succeed St. Peter alone? My understanding is that the Bishops are successors of Apostles.

      The fact is that H.H the Patriarch of Antioch has never said that he being the successor of St.Peter is superior to H.H the Pope of Alexandria the successor of St. Mark.

      In Christ,
      Mathew G M
      0929