Prayer for the "DEAD" ! Is it Biblical? Part 3

  • Fr. John K.K
    Message 1 of 1039 , Feb 5, 2003
      Most certainly, all generations till the advent of Protestantism in
      the sixteenth Century believed the necessity of praying for the dead.
      Parents of Luther, Zwingli, Calvin, Grebel and all such leaders had
      indisputably believed and prayed for the dead ancestors. It was
      totally unnecessary and unwarranted to teach extra ordinary dogmas
      quoting, more often than not, the Bible out of context with
      vindictive, ulterior and egoist motive. For instance, there was
      widespread speculation that Luther broke away from the Pope, because
      he wanted to marry. The first thing he did after break up with the
      Pope was to marry a nun. Secondly, he was reluctant to confess his
      sins. To evade confession he brought up the `justification by faith
      alone' theory through free interpretation of the Bible. So not
      praying for the dead is the new invention of the Protestantism. Is it
      that all those who lived from Adam until the time of Protestants
      prayed for the dead in vain?
      One cannot but admit that such doubts are implanted by
      heretical teachings of the Protestants. They confuse the believers.
      They easily subdue the unprepared believers by insisting direct
      answers. Several reasons lead to the situation. Of late, some
      faithful envisage a tendency to compromise with all sorts of
      teachings without judiciously evaluating their merits. Those who are
      neither erudite nor steadfast in faith hold an utterly wrong view
      that since all those who speak from the Bible are right and
      acceptable. They are untaught, unconcerned and unaware what is right
      and wrong. They teach contrary to the teachings of the Church. Their
      easy weapon is to confront the faithful, "Where is it written in the
      Bible to pray for the dead?" "Where is in the Bible to seek the
      intercession of the saint?" "Is infant baptism Biblical?" etc.
      Unprepared faithful fumble without answer. False teachers exploit the
      ignorance of the faithful and infuse false doctrines. Commandments,
      instructions and messages in the Bible should be evaluated understood
      and permeated not based on fragmentation, but based on the totality
      of the Bible.

      Contd... Part 4
    • Jaison
      Message 1039 of 1039 , Sep 21 9:09 AM