New SOC church opens its doors in Shepparton

  • SOCM News Bureau
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2010
    New church opens its doors

    Shepparton's growing Indian population has embraced a newly launched Indian church in the community.

    Members of the St Mary's Jacobite Syrian Orthodox congregation yesterday attended the church's third mass after the church was established earlier this year.

    Joining Reverend Father Boby Thomas for the ceremony was metropolitan His Eminence Bishop Poulose Mor Iranious, who visited to celebrate the launch of the church.

    The church is the ninth congregation of the Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church in Australia and the second in Victoria.

    Fr Thomas said the church was created to provide for the growing Indian community in the Goulburn Valley. We are trying to make another church in Shepparton, he said. By having one in Melbourne, we now have one here in Shepparton.

    The church ceremonies are held at North Shepparton Community Learning Centre on the first Saturday of every month.