Role of an woman

  • Rev. Fr. Paulose V V
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2010
      Role of an woman in our church.

      Thanks a lot Mr Cecil Varghese for reminding to go through the address of H.H. Bava.

      Thanks for the healthy discussion and new lights have been in the forum about the role of women in our church.

      The Patriarchal address did on Damascus on October 10 1996 at the women’s forum should be circulated in all the churches. Dr. Susan has penned a sensed approach should be practiced in the realm of our church. If we read H.H. address between the lines would very clear except priest hood in -proper all other positions are entitled to women.

      ‘There is neither Jews or Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male or female, for ye are all one in Christ’ (Galatians 3:28).

      In the church forums in India- committees, trusts, socities, and other decision taking bodies -still women are anathema and taboo. We have the churches in the name of woman saints. We are all from mother’s wombs. Despise the womb of a mother is a UN pardonable sin. No human institutions, traditions, rules and laws have eternal sanctity. That are amenable, reviewable, recast able, amendable, removable, remodel able and discard able according to the context, time, place, circumstances, new insights, and revelations. For that a proper learned, spiritual forum should be there to study the women issues and put it in the holy synod and should be passed and made as the bull. Here the problem is, church wise, bishop wise, priest wise, individual wise, practice differently the role of women and their status.

      In the Syrian churches in Toronto and Detroit there are no separate barricades for male and female. They are seated in family wise not male and female wise. I know in one church in India the names and signatures of women in the minute’s book had completely debased and rubbed out after the general body meeting that women are not supposed to be eligible to sit in the general body of a church. Some churches see any women in any forum are like a red flag to the bull. Even some gents would interpret as a curse for the family if any woman sat in the church decision forums, that I have first hand experience.

      My experience speaks that if 50 % reservation is strictly implemented in all church decisions bodies, for women, from the top to the bottom could end the feud in our church at large. Women should be aware of their rights and duties in the church. A great awakening of women is a must. We gents talk, act, and decide what an woman should be. That is male chauvinism. Decisions should be collective and not violating an iota of the scripture. All our traditions are corroborated and concurrent with the scriptures. Love lost is the cause for all arguments and quarrels and no agreements for disagreements. We are in need of concrete action not talk alone and leave it there. In heaven,” In the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven’ (Mathew 22:30). So we all should live in Christ in love as one body to be resurrected

      Fr. V.V.Paulose