Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

    Message 1 of 153 , Dec 4, 2010
      READ: Titus 3:1-8 Appended Below

      Be doers of the Word, and not hearers only. James 1:22

      My grandfathers were both gardeners and so are many of my friends. I love visiting beautiful gardens they inspire me. They make me want to create something equally beautiful in my own yard. But I have trouble moving from the inspiration to the perspiration part of gardening. My great ideas don't become reality because I don't spend the time and energy to make them happen.

      This can be true in our spiritual lives as well. We can listen to the testimonies of other people and marvel at the work God is doing in their lives.

      We can hear uplifting music and great preaching and feel inspired to follow God more diligently. But soon after we walk out of church, we have trouble finding the time or making the effort to follow through.

      James described such Christians as being like those who look in a mirror, see themselves, but do nothing to fix what is wrong (James 1:23-24). They hear the Word, but it doesn't lead to action. James says we need to do not just hear.

      When we move from the inspiration of simply hearing� about the good being done by others to the perspiration of actually doing� good works ourselves, the implanted Word of God (1:21) will bloom into a beautiful garden of spiritual
      fruit. Julie Ackerman Link

      I'd rather see a Christian
      Than to hear one merely talk;
      I'd rather see his actions
      And behold his daily walk. Herrell

      Life works best when we do.

      Titus 3:1-8 (New International Version)

      Titus 3
      Saved in Order to Do Good
      1 Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good,
      2 to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and always to be gentle toward everyone.
      3 At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another.
      4 But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared,
      5 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,
      6 whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior,
      7 so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.
      8 This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone.
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.