Our Daily Bread:Forwarded

  • Very Rev. Fr. Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moola
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 3, 2010
      READ: Genesis 1:27-31 Appended Below

      God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good. Genesis 1:31

      Displayed on the wall of my friends lake house is a collection of pictures. Each one of the photos is of a sunset, taken from their deck during various seasons. While each is strikingly beautiful no two are identical. When I look at them, it reminds me of what another friend once called a sunset God's beautiful signature at the end of a day.

      God writes His signature on each sunset and on each of His unique children as well. I never grow tired of discovering how every person I meet is so delightfully different. God is infinitely creative, and the variety in our personalities, senses of humor, abilities, and preferences in music and sports are all handcrafted by Him.

      In the body of Christ, we see how a diversity of spiritual gifts still have a common bond and can work together for God's purposes to bring Him glory. In 1 Corinthians 12:4-6, we read, There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all.

      God's signature that is so evident in nature is also present in His people. Let's celebrate the differences that make each of His children unique. Cindy Hess Kasper

      In Jesus Christ we all are equal,
      For God's Spirit makes us one;
      As we give each other honor,
      We give glory to His Son. Fitzhugh

      The signature of God is seen on His creation.

      Genesis 1:27-31 (New International Version)
      27 So God created mankind in his own image,
      in the image of God he created them;
      male and female he created them.

      28 God blessed them and said to them, Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.

      29 Then God said, I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.

      30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky
      and all the creatures that move along the ground everything that has the breath of life in it I give every green plant for food.” And it was so.

      31 God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was
      evening, and there was morning the sixth day.
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 7, 2010
        READ: 2 Corinthians 1:3-7 Appened Below

        The Father of mercies and God of all comfort . . . comforts us in all our tribulation. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

        A medical school program in New York gives students who are training for geriatric medicine a unique opportunity. They experience life as nursing home residents for 10 days. They learn some of the struggles of maneuvering a wheelchair and being raised out of bed with a lift, as well as reaching the shower bar from a seated position. One student learned how little things counted for a lot like lowering nameplates on doors so that patients can find their rooms more easily, or putting the TV remote in a reachable location.

        Although the students still can't fully relate, they will be better able to serve the elderly in their future work.

        Sometimes God gives us the opportunity to use the lessons we've learned and the comfort He's given us during difficult times to help others in special ways. Paul indicated this when he wrote: Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any
        trouble� (2 Cor. 1:3-4).

        Are you using the lessons you've learned in your trials to touch the lives of others? Remember even little things can mean a lot. Anne Cetas

        The comfort God has given us
        He wants us now to share
        With others who are suffering
        So they will sense His care. Sper

        God doesn't comfort us to make us comfortable; He comforts us to make us comforters.

        2 Corinthians 1:3-7 (New International Version)
        Praise to the God of All Comfort

        3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,

        4 who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.

        5 For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ.

        6 If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer.

        7 And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 8, 2010
          READ: 2 Chronicles 26:3-19APPENDED BELOW

          When he was strong his heart was lifted up, to his destruction. Chronicles 26:16

          Dwight L. Moody said, When a man thinks he has got a good deal of strength, and is self-confident, you may look for his downfall. It may be years before it comes to light, but it is already commenced.

          This was true of King Uzziah.

          Everything seemed to be going so well in his life. He was obedient, submitted to spiritual mentorship, and sought God's guidance during most of his reign.

          As long as he asked God for help, God gave him great success evidenced by his many accomplishments (2 Chron. 26:3-15).

          Uzziah's life was one of great power and human success until he became blinded by it. His pride was evidenced in several ways: he challenged God's holiness by trespassing the temple and presuming upon a position he would never be able to have (v.16); he viewed God's power as good but not absolutely necessary for his leadership (vv.5,16); he refused godly correction and counsel (vv.18-19); he
          bypassed his opportunity to repent; and he ignored, instead of feared, the consequences of his sin (vv.18-19).

          When God gives us success in any area of our lives, let's not forget the Source of our success. May we choose humility, for God gives grace to the humble. Marvin Williams

          Is thy heart right with God,
          Washed in the crimson flood,
          Cleansed and made holy, humble and lowly,
          Right in the sight of God? Hoffman

          God lifts us high when we choose to live low.

          2 Chronicles 26:3-19 (New International Version)
          3 Uzziah was sixteen years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem fifty-two years. His mother's name was Jekoliah; she was from Jerusalem.
          4 He did what was right in the eyes of the LORD, just as his father
          Amaziah had done.
          5 He sought God during the days of Zechariah, who instructed
          him in the fear[a] of God. As long as he sought the LORD, God gave him success.
          6 He went to war against the Philistines and broke down the walls of Gath, Jabneh and Ashdod. He then rebuilt towns near Ashdod and elsewhere among the Philistines.
          7 God helped him against the Philistines and against the Arabs who
          lived in Gur Baal and against the Meunites.
          8 The Ammonites brought tribute to Uzziah, and his fame spread as far as the border of Egypt, because he had become very powerful.
          9 Uzziah built towers in Jerusalem at the Corner Gate, at the Valley Gate and at the angle of the wall, and he fortified them.
          10 He also built towers in the wilderness and dug many cisterns, because he had much livestock in the foothills and in the plain. He had people working his fields and vineyards in the hills and in the fertile lands, for he loved the soil.
          11 Uzziah had a well-trained army, ready to go out by divisions according to their numbers as mustered by Jeiel the secretary and Maaseiah the officer under the direction of Hananiah, one of the royal officials.
          12 The total number of family leaders over the fighting men was 2,600.
          13 Under their command was an army of 307,500 men trained for war, a powerful force to support the king against his enemies.
          14 Uzziah provided shields, spears, helmets, coats of armor, bows and slingstones for the entire army.
          15 In Jerusalem he made devices invented for use on the towers and on the corner defenses so that soldiers could shoot arrows and hurl large stones from the walls. His fame spread far and wide, for he was greatly helped until he became powerful.
          16 But after Uzziah became powerful, his pride led to his downfall. He was unfaithful to the LORD his God, and entered the temple of the LORD to burn incense on the altar of incense.
          17 Azariah the priest with eighty other courageous priests of the LORD followed him in.
          18 They confronted King Uzziah and said, It is not right for you, Uzziah, to burn incense to the LORD. That is for the priests, the descendants of Aaron, who have been consecrated to burn incense. Leave the sanctuary, for you have been unfaithful; and you will not be honored by the LORD God.
          19 Uzziah, who had a censer in his hand ready to burn incense, became angry. While he was raging at the priests in their presence before the incense altar in the LORD's temple, leprosy[b] broke out on his forehead.

          Footnotes:
          1. 2 Chronicles 26:5 Many Hebrew manuscripts, Septuagint and Syriac; other Hebrew manuscripts vision
          2. 2 Chronicles 26:19 The Hebrew for leprosy was used for various diseases affecting the skin; also in verses 20, 21 and 23.
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 13, 2010
            READ: Psalm 42 Appended Below

            I will hope continually, and will praise You yet more and more. Psalm 71:14

            A story is told about a family that went on a picnic by a lake. At one point, their 5-year-old son waded into the lake, stepped into deep water, and sank out of sight. None of the adults in the family knew how to swim, so they ran up and down the shore in panic while the child bobbed up and down and screamed for help. Just then, a man happened by who sized up the situation, leaped into the lake, and rescued the boy. He climbed out on the bank with the child, who was
            frightened but unharmed, only to hear the mother ask with irritation, Where's Johnny's cap?

            So often we focus on small disappointments that cause us to grumble and complain rather than focusing on the wonderful things God has brought into our lives, not the least of which is His everlasting love and eternal salvation.

            When we complain about the small dissatisfactions of life, we're asking, in effect, Where's Johnny's cap?�

            Paul wrote, In everything give thanks� (1 Thess. 5:18). We may not be thankful for everything that comes our way, but we can give thanks in everything. It may be difficult to be grateful when we lose our job or our health fails, but we can be thankful for the good that God has brought to us in this life and grateful for the life to come. - David Roper

            As endless as God's blessings are,
            So should my praises be
            For all His daily goodnesses
            That flow unceasingly! - Adams

            Instead of being preoccupied with our problems, let's praise the Lord for His blessings.

            Psalm 42[a][b] For the director of music. A maskil[c] of the Sons of Korah.

            1 As the deer pants for streams of water,
            so my soul pants for you, my God.
            2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
            When can I go and meet with God?
            3 My tears have been my food
            day and night,
            while people say to me all day long,
            Where is your God?�
            4 These things I remember
            as I pour out my soul:
            how I used to go to the house of God
            under the protection of the Mighty One[d]
            with shouts of joy and praise
            among the festive throng.
            5 Why, my soul, are you downcast?
            Why so disturbed within me?
            Put your hope in God,
            for I will yet praise him,
            my Savior and my God.
            6 My soul is downcast within me;
            therefore I will remember you
            from the land of the Jordan,
            the heights of Hermon from Mount Mizar.
            7 Deep calls to deep
            in the roar of your waterfalls;
            all your waves and breakers
            have swept over me.
            8 By day the LORD directs his love,
            at night his song is with me
            a prayer to the God of my life.
            9 I say to God my Rock,
            Why have you forgotten me?
            Why must I go about mourning,
            oppressed by the enemy?�
            10 My bones suffer mortal agony
            as my foes taunt me,
            saying to me all day long,
            Where is your God?�
            11 Why, my soul, are you downcast?
            Why so disturbed within me?
            Put your hope in God,
            for I will yet praise him,
            my Savior and my God.

            Footnotes:
            1. Psalm 42:1 In many Hebrew manuscripts Psalms 42 and 43 constitute one psalm.
            2. Psalm 42:1 In Hebrew texts 42:1-11 is numbered 42:2-12.
            3. Psalm 42:1 Title: Probably a literary or musical term
            4. Psalm 42:4 See Septuagint and Syriac; the meaning of the Hebrew for this line is uncertain.
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 20, 2010
              READ: Luke 1:26-38 Appended

              Humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time. 1 Peter 5:6

              Throughout history, Mary the mother of Jesus has been held in high esteem. And rightly so! She was singled out by God to deliver the long-awaited Messiah.

              But before we get lost in the significance of her life, let's take a look at what it meant for her to surrender to the assignment. Living in a small backwater Galilean village where everyone knew everyone else's business, she would have to live with the perceived shame of her premarital pregnancy.

              Explaining to her mother the visits of the angel and the Holy Spirit probably didn't calm things down. To say nothing of the devastating interruption that her pregnancy would bring to her plans to marry Joseph. And while we are thinking about Joseph, what would she tell him? Would he believe her?

              In light of these personal ramifications, her response to the angel who told her the news about her role as Jesus mother is amazing: Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word� (Luke 1:38 ESV).

              Her words remind us that a life of significance is most often preceded by a heart eager to surrender to God's will regardless of the cost.

              What significant experience does God have in store for you? It starts with surrender to Him. - Joe Stowell

              What shall I give You, Master?
              You have redeemed my soul;
              My gift is small but it is my all
              Surrendered to Your control. - Grimes

              Surrender to God precedes His significant work in your life.

              Luke 1:26-38 (New International Version)

              The Birth of Jesus Foretold
              26 In the sixth month of Elizabeth's pregnancy, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee,
              27 to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin's name was Mary.
              28 The angel went to her and said, Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.
              29 Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be.
              30 But the angel said to her, Do not be afraid, Mary; you have
              found favor with God.
              31 You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus.
              32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David,
              33 and he will reign over Jacob's descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.�
              34 How will this be, Mary asked the angel, since I am a virgin?
              35 The angel answered, The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called[a] the Son of God.
              36 Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old
              age, and she who was said to be unable to conceive is in her sixth month.
              37 For no word from God will ever fail.�
              38 I am the Lord's servant, Mary answered. May your word to me be
              fulfilled. Then the angel left her.

              Footnotes:
              Luke 1:35 Or So the child to be born will be called holy
            • Very Rev. Fr. Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moola
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 23, 2010
                READ: John 1:10-18 Appended

                Grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. John 1:17

                If your physician called you and in a serious voice said, Please come in as soon as you can. I have something to discuss with you, you would know he has bad news! Your first response might be, No, I don't want to know.� But you go because it is only when you know the diagnosis that you can learn the cure.

                God, our Great Physician, also has some bad news about man's spiritual condition. When against His expressed warning Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit, God told Adam that all mankind would die spiritually and physically.

                That's the bad news.

                But He also gave the solution. He promised a Savior (Gen. 3:15). The apostle John tells us, Grace and truth came through Jesus Christ (John 1:17). But how does that help? Jesus came that first Christmas to bring God's grace, something that none of us deserve because like Adam we have all sinned. But Jesus also came to reverse what sin brought. He came to be the truth (John 14:6) that would bring us back to God. He came to save His people from their sins� (Matt.1:21).

                Listen to what the Great Physician has to say in the Bible about your spiritual condition. Then accept the cure He has provided the gift of salvation through Christ. - C. P. Hia

                Life is uncertain,
                Death is sure;
                Sin the cause,
                Christ the cure. - Anon.

                Spiritual blindness can be cured only by the Great Physician.

                John 1:10-18 (New International Version)

                10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him.
                11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not
                receive him.
                12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his
                name, he gave the right to become children of God
                13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God.
                14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
                15 (John testified concerning him. He cried out, saying, This is the one I spoke about when I said, �He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.
                16 Out of his fullness we have all received grace in place of grace already given.
                17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
                18 No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and[a] is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known.

                Footnotes:
                1. John 1:18 Some manuscripts but the only Son, who
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 24, 2010
                  READ: Luke 2:8-14 Appended

                  Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. John 14:27

                  I wouldn't want to pick a fight with a sky full of angels, but I must admit that I've always wondered about the promise of peace the angelic host made to the shepherds in the fields outside Bethlehem. For the last 2,000 years, peace on our planet has been at best a rare commodity. Wars continue to ravage innocent lives, domestic violence is a growing calamity, divorce rates soar, churches split, and peace in our restless and wayward hearts seems to be an elusive dream.

                  Where is the promised peace? Actually, on reflection, we can see that Jesus brought all that is needed for peace in our world. He taught the principles of peace, calling for people to love their neighbors as they love themselves. And as He was leaving this planet, He promised, Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you (John 14:27). He told us to turn the other cheek, go the extra mile, forgive offenses, reject greed, tolerate each other's weaknesses, live to serve and love one another as He has loved us.

                  It seems that in large part, peace is up to us. Paul verifies that in Romans 12:18, As much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. This Christmas, let's make peace our gift to the world in which we live as we reflect the Prince of Peace. - Joe Stowell

                  We know at times there will be strife;
                  On this we must agree
                  When conflict drops into our lives,
                  We'll solve it peacefully. - Fasick

                  When we experience peace with God, we can share His peace with others.

                  Luke 2:8-14 (New International Version)

                  8 And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night.
                  9 An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified.
                  10 But the angel said to them, Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people.
                  11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is
                  the Messiah, the Lord.
                  12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.
                  13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,
                  14 Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 24, 2010
                    READ: Matthew 1:18-25 Appended

                    Then Joseph, being aroused from sleep, did as the angel of the Lord commanded him and took to him his wife. Matthew 1:24

                    The Christmas story, recorded in Matthew and Luke, has become so familiar that I wonder if we grasp the reality of what actually happened: An angel told a young virgin that she would conceive a child by the power of the Holy Spirit (Luke 1:26-38). The angel then told her fianc to marry her and name the baby Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins� (Matt. 1:21). Shepherds saw angels in the sky and were told of a Savior's birth in Bethlehem (Luke
                    2:11). Wise men traveled hundreds of miles to worship the One who, they said, has been born King of the Jews� (Matt. 2:2). Amazing!

                    Equally astonishing is that Mary, Joseph, the shepherds, and the wise men did exactly as they had been told. Mary yielded herself to God; Joseph took her home as his wife; the shepherds went to Bethlehem to find the baby in a manger; and the wise men followed the star. With no idea of the outcome, they all took the next step by faith in the Lord. Amazing!

                    How is it with us this Christmas? Will we trust God and follow His leading even when we face uncertainty and overwhelming circumstances?

                    When you and I obey the Lord, the outcome is truly amazing! - David McCasland

                    To follow the leading of God,
                    To step out in faith and obey,
                    Is always the path we should take
                    Whenever we can't see the way. - Sper

                    Faith never knows where it is being led, but it loves and knows the One who is leading. - Chambers

                    Joseph Accepts Jesus as His Son

                    18 This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about[a]: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit.

                    19 Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet[b] did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly.

                    20 But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.

                    21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus,[c] because he will save his people from their sins.

                    22 All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet:

                    23 The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel �[d] (which means God with us.

                    24 When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife.

                    25 But he did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus.

                    Footnotes:
                    1. Matthew 1:18 Or The origin of Jesus the Messiah was like this
                    2. Matthew 1:19 Or was a righteous man and
                    3. Matthew 1:21 Jesus is the Greek form of Joshua, which means the LORD saves.
                    4. Matthew 1:23 Isaiah 7:14
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 27, 2010
                      READ: Psalm 95:1-7 Appended

                      All things were created through Him and for Him. Colossians 1:16

                      Did you hear about the church that didn't have enough room for parking? Fortunately, it was located right next to a store that was closed on Sundays, so a church member asked the store owner if they could overflow into his parking lot. No problem, he said. You can use it 51 weeks out of the year. On the 52nd week, though, it will be chained off. The man was grateful, but asked curiously, What happens that week? The store owner smiled, Nothing. I just want you to remember that it's not your parking lot.

                      It's easy to take for granted all the material and spiritual blessings that God has given us. That's why we need to stop and remember that Scripture says the true owner of all we possess is God: All that is in heaven and in earth is Yours; Yours is the kingdom, O Lord, and You are exalted as head over all (1 Chron. 29:11). Even our bodies do not belong to us: Do you not know that
                      your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit . . . and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price� (1 Cor. 6:19-20).

                      As 1 Timothy 6:17 reminds us: God . . . gives us richly all things to enjoy. We are so abundantly blessed with good things! Let's never take our Father for granted, but use wisely and gratefully all that He has given us. - Cindy Hess Kasper

                      As we all enjoy God's blessing,
                      Oh, may we not forget
                      Our Lord, from whom all good gifts come
                      In Him our needs are met. - Fitzhugh

                      God gives blessing to us so we can give glory to Him.

                      Psalm 95 1 Come, let us sing for joy to the LORD;
                      let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation.
                      2 Let us come before him with thanksgiving
                      and extol him with music and song.
                      3 For the LORD is the great God,
                      the great King above all gods.
                      4 In his hand are the depths of the earth,
                      and the mountain peaks belong to him.
                      5 The sea is his, for he made it,
                      and his hands formed the dry land.
                      6 Come, let us bow down in worship,
                      let us kneel before the LORD our Maker;
                      7 for he is our God
                      and we are the people of his pasture,
                      the flock under his care.
                      Today, if only you would hear his voice,
                    • Very Rev. Fr. Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moola
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 28, 2010
                        READ: Psalm 77:1-14 Appended

                        I will remember the works of the Lord; surely I will remember Your wonders of
                        old. —Psalm 77:11

                        During the last week of December, newscasters often look back at the
                        significant events of the past year—the triumphs and failures of prominent
                        people, natural disasters, economic challenges, and the deaths of celebrities
                        and leaders. The most surprising events usually receive top billing.

                        If you reviewed the past year of your life, what would appear on the list? Has
                        an unexpected event caused you to question God or to more deeply experience His
                        goodness?

                        Psalm 77 chronicles the lament of a person in distress who felt as if God no
                        longer cared (vv.7-9). “Has His mercy ceased forever? Has His promise failed
                        forevermore?” (v.8). Yet, even in anguish, the psalmist said, “I will remember
                        the works of the Lord; surely I will remember Your wonders of old” (v.11). The
                        result was a renewal of trust and hope: “You are the God who does wonders; You
                        have declared Your strength among the peoples” (v.14).

                        As you think back over this past year, why not write down the significant
                        events in your life. Don’t be afraid to include your difficulties and
                        disappointments, but remember to consider all the ways God has been with you.

                        During every difficulty, we can always find the faithfulness of God. —David
                        McCasland

                        When we look back and contemplate
                        What we’ve been through this year,
                        We’ll praise You, Lord, for all You’ve done—
                        Your faithfulness is clear. —Sper

                        Difficulties in our lives give us the opportunity to experience the faithfulness
                        of God.
                        Psalm 77[a] For the director of music. For Jeduthun. Of Asaph. A psalm.
                        1 I cried out to God for help;
                        I cried out to God to hear me.
                        2 When I was in distress, I sought the Lord;
                        at night I stretched out untiring hands,
                        and I would not be comforted.
                        3 I remembered you, God, and I groaned;
                        I meditated, and my spirit grew faint.[b]
                        4 You kept my eyes from closing;
                        I was too troubled to speak.
                        5 I thought about the former days,
                        the years of long ago;
                        6 I remembered my songs in the night.
                        My heart meditated and my spirit asked:
                        7 “Will the Lord reject forever?
                        Will he never show his favor again?
                        8 Has his unfailing love vanished forever?
                        Has his promise failed for all time?
                        9 Has God forgotten to be merciful?
                        Has he in anger withheld his compassion?”
                        10 Then I thought, “To this I will appeal:
                        the years when the Most High stretched out his right hand.
                        11 I will remember the deeds of the LORD;
                        yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.
                        12 I will consider all your works
                        and meditate on all your mighty deeds.”
                        13 Your ways, God, are holy.
                        What god is as great as our God?
                        14 You are the God who performs miracles;
                        you display your power among the peoples.
                        Footnotes:
                        1. Psalm 77:1 In Hebrew texts 77:1-20 is numbered 77:2-21.
                        2. Psalm 77:3 The Hebrew has Selah (a word of uncertain meaning) here and at
                        the end of verses 9 and 15.
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 30, 2010
                          READ: Hebrews 11:32-40 Appended

                          All these . . . obtained a good testimony through faith. —Hebrews 11:39

                          In a letter to his son Eduard, Albert Einstein gave this advice: “Life is like
                          riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” The great
                          physicist’s advice is wise and practical.
                          This wise counsel can apply to the Christian life. Many believers by faith
                          keep moving ahead through painful and trying circumstances. But when they
                          experience a personal moral failure, they lose their balance and fall. Their
                          regret and feeling of unworthiness of God’s forgiveness may then keep them down
                          and they no longer move ahead in their spiritual life.

                          The Bible gives us many examples of those who have experienced serious
                          personal failure. Abraham lied to Pharaoh about his wife, Sarah (Gen. 12:11-17).
                          Jacob deceived his father to acquire Esau’s blessing (Gen. 27:18-29). Moses
                          disobeyed God by striking the rock instead of speaking to it (Num. 20:7-12).
                          Despite their failures, we are told: “all these . . . obtained a good testimony
                          through faith” (Heb. 11:39).

                          These biblical characters are lifted up as examples because after they fell,
                          they turned back to God and began to follow Him again. Have you lost your
                          spiritual balance through a sinful choice, which is keeping you down? Repent
                          and follow the God of second chances once again. —Dennis Fisher

                          I’ve strayed, O Lord, and turned aside,
                          I’ve disobeyed Your voice;
                          But now contrite of heart I turn
                          And make Your will my choice. —D. De Haan

                          Our God is a God of second chances.
                          Hebrews 11:32-40 (New International Version, ©2010)
                          32 And what more shall I say? I do not have time to tell about Gideon, Barak,
                          Samson and Jephthah, about David and Samuel and the prophets, 33 who through
                          faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised;
                          who shut the mouths of lions, 34 quenched the fury of the flames, and escaped
                          the edge of the sword; whose weakness was turned to strength; and who became
                          powerful in battle and routed foreign armies. 35 Women received back their
                          dead, raised to life again. There were others who were tortured, refusing to be
                          released so that they might gain an even better resurrection. 36 Some faced
                          jeers and flogging, and even chains and imprisonment. 37 They were put to death
                          by stoning;[a] they were sawed in two; they were killed by the sword. They went
                          about in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted and mistreated— 38 the
                          world was not worthy of them. They wandered in deserts and mountains, living in
                          caves and in holes in the ground.

                          39 These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had
                          been promised, 40 since God had planned something better for us so that only
                          together with us would they be made perfect.

                          Footnotes:
                          1. Hebrews 11:37 Some early manuscripts stoning; they were put to the test;
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 10, 2011
                            READ: Genesis 12:1-9 Appended

                            The Lord had said to Abram, Get out of your country, from your family and from your father's house, to a land that I will show you. Genesis 12:1

                            One of the smartest people I know is a college friend who became a Christian while studying at a state university. He graduated with honors and went on to study at a respected seminary. He served a small church as pastor for several years and then accepted a call to another small church far from family and friends. After 12 years at that church, he sensed that the congregation needed new leadership, so he stepped down. He hadn't been offered a job at a bigger church or a teaching position at a college or seminary. In fact, he didn't even have another job. He just knew that God was leading him in a different direction, so he followed.

                            When we discussed it, my friend said, A lot of people talk about being called to something, but I don't hear much about being called from something.�

                            In many ways, my friend's obedience was like that of Israel's patriarch Abraham, who went out, not knowing where God was leading (Heb. 11:8-10). Difficulties like famine (Gen. 12:10), fear (vv.11-20), and family disputes (13:8) gave reason for doubt, but Abraham persevered and because of his faith God counted him as righteous (Gal. 3:6).

                            A life of obedience may not be easy, but it will be blessed (Luke 11:28). - Julie Ackerman Link

                            As Abraham went out,
                            Not knowing where he was going;
                            Now, Lord, keep me from doubt,
                            To go the way You are showing. - Hess

                            You don't need to know where you're going if you know God is leading.
                            Genesis 12
                            The Call of Abram

                            1 The LORD had said to Abram, Go from your country, your people and your father's household to the land I will show you.

                            2 I will make you into a great nation,
                            and I will bless you;
                            I will make your name great,
                            and you will be a blessing.[a]
                            3 I will bless those who bless you,
                            and whoever curses you I will curse;
                            and all peoples on earth
                            will be blessed through you.”[b]
                            4 So Abram went, as the LORD had told him; and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he set out from Harran.
                            5 He took his wife Sarai, his nephew Lot, all the possessions they had accumulated and the people they had acquired in Harran, and they set out for the land of Canaan, and they arrived there.
                            6 Abram traveled through the land as far as the site of the great tree of Moreh at Shechem. At that time the Canaanites were in the land.
                            7 The LORD appeared to Abram and said, To your offspring[c] I will give this land.� So he built an altar there to the LORD, who had appeared to him.
                            8 From there he went on toward the hills east of Bethel and pitched his tent, with Bethel on the west and Ai on the east. There he built an altar to the LORD and called on the name of the LORD.
                            9 Then Abram set out and continued toward the Negev.

                            Footnotes:
                            1. Genesis 12:2 Or be seen as blessed
                            2. Genesis 12:3 Or earth / will use your name in blessings (see 48:20)
                            3. Genesis 12:7 Or seed
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 20, 2011
                              READ: Ephesians 3:14-21 Appended

                              Be filled with all the fullness of God. Ephesians 3:19

                              According to the ancient philosopher Aristotle, Nature abhors a vacuum. Aristotle based his conclusion on the observation that nature requires every space to be filled with something, even if that something is colorless, odorless air.

                              The same principle is at work in our spiritual lives. When the Holy Spirit begins to convict us of sin, the idea of starting a self-improvement plan immediately comes to mind. We put forth our best effort to defeat our worst habits. But every attempt to get rid of unclean thoughts, attitudes, and desires is destined to fail because getting rid of one creates a vacuum in our souls. As soon as we empty ourselves of one vice, others move in to take its place, and we end up just as bad or worse than when we started.

                              Thinking about vacuums helps us to understand the importance of what Paul was saying to the Ephesians when he prayed that Christ would dwell in their hearts through faith and that they would know the love of Christ . . . that [they] may be filled with all the fullness of God� (3:19).

                              The only permanent solution to the problem of sin in our lives is to replace it with the love of Jesus, which fills the vacuum. The more we are filled with His love, the less room there is for any evil thing. - Julie Ackerman Link

                              Father, thank You for Your Spirit
                              Fill us with His love and power;
                              Change us into Christ's own image
                              Day by day and hour by hour. - Anon.

                              We don't need to put our house in order before Jesus comes in; He puts it in order after we let Him in.

                              Ephesians 3:14-21 (New International Version)

                              A Prayer for the Ephesians

                              14 For this reason I kneel before the Father,
                              15 from whom every family[a] in heaven and on earth derives its name.
                              16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being,
                              17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love,
                              18 may have power, together with all the Lord's holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ,
                              19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
                              20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us,
                              21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

                              Footnotes:
                              1. Ephesians 3:15 The Greek for family (patria) is derived from the Greek for father (pater).
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 2 9:26 AM
                                READ: Psalm 55:1-8 Appended

                                Cast your burden on the Lord, and He shall sustain you. Psalm 55:22

                                Every so often, my computer becomes sluggish. Frequent use of certain programs and documents causes pieces of information to become scattered, requiring my computer to search for the pieces before I can use them. To fix it, I need to run a program that retrieves the pieces and groups them together where they are easily accessible. This process is called defragmentation.�

                                Like my computer, my life gets fragmented. One situation tugs on my emotions while I'm trying to concentrate on something else. Demands from every direction bombard me. I want to accomplish everything that needs to be done, but my mind won't stop and my body won't start. Soon I begin to feel weary and useless.

                                Recently I attended a retreat where one of the handouts included a prayer with words that expressed how I felt: Lord, I am scattered, restless, and only half here.

                                King David also went through such times (Ps. 55:2). In prayer, David presented his needs to God morning, noon, and evening, confident that he would be heard (v.17).

                                Prayer can help to defragment our lives. When we cast our cares on the Lord, He will show us what we need to do and what only He can do. - Julie Ackerman Link

                                O Lord, we bring our restless hearts
                                To You in fervent prayer;
                                Now help us wait expectantly
                                While resting in Your care. - Sper

                                We need prayer the most when we have the least time to pray.

                                Psalm 55:1-8 (New International Version)

                                Psalm 55[a] For the director of music. With stringed instruments. A maskil[b] of David.
                                1 Listen to my prayer, O God,
                                do not ignore my plea;
                                2 hear me and answer me.
                                My thoughts trouble me and I am distraught
                                3 because of what my enemy is saying,
                                because of the threats of the wicked;
                                for they bring down suffering on me
                                and assail me in their anger.
                                4 My heart is in anguish within me;
                                the terrors of death have fallen on me.
                                5 Fear and trembling have beset me;
                                horror has overwhelmed me.
                                6 I said, Oh, that I had the wings of a dove!
                                I would fly away and be at rest.
                                7 I would flee far away
                                and stay in the desert;[c]
                                8 I would hurry to my place of shelter,
                                far from the tempest and storm.

                                Footnotes:
                                1. Psalm 55:1 In Hebrew texts 55:1-23 is numbered 55:2-24.
                                2. Psalm 55:1 Title: Probably a literary or musical term
                                3. Psalm 55:7 The Hebrew has Selah (a word of uncertain meaning) here and in the middle of verse 19.
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 20 10:07 AM
                                  READ: Psalm 50:7-15 Appended

                                  Whoever offers praise glorifies Me. Psalm 50:23

                                  I used to view the worship service in church as a time for entertainment. Speaking of folks like me, Sören Kierkegaard said that we tend to think of church as a kind of theater: We sit in the audience, attentively watching the actors onstage. If sufficiently entertained, we show our gratitude with applause. Church, though, should be the opposite of the theater. God is the audience for our worship.

                                  What matters most takes place within the hearts of the congregation not onstage. We should leave a worship service asking ourselves not What did I get out of it?� but rather Was God pleased with what happened?�

                                  God took pains to specify details of animal sacrifice for the ancient Israelites in their worship. Yet He said that He didn't��t need their animals: I will not take a bull from your house, nor goats out of your folds. For every beast of the forest is Mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills� (Ps. 50:9-10). What He wanted was their praise and obedience (v.23).

                                  By focusing on the externals of worship, we too miss the point: The Lord is interested in a sacrifice of the heart, an internal attitude of submission and thanksgiving. The goal of worship is nothing less than to meet and please our God. - Philip Yancey

                                  Lord, may our worship and our praise,
                                  From hearts surrendered to Your ways,
                                  Be worthy offerings of love
                                  For all Your blessings from above. - Sper

                                  At the heart of worship is worship from the heart.
                                  Psalm 50:7-15

                                  7 Listen, my people, and I will speak;
                                  I will testify against you, Israel:
                                  I am God, your God.
                                  8 I bring no charges against you concerning your sacrifices
                                  or concerning your burnt offerings, which are ever before me.
                                  9 I have no need of a bull from your stall
                                  or of goats from your pens,
                                  10 for every animal of the forest is mine,
                                  and the cattle on a thousand hills.
                                  11 I know every bird in the mountains,
                                  and the insects in the fields are mine.
                                  12 If I were hungry I would not tell you,
                                  for the world is mine, and all that is in it.
                                  13 Do I eat the flesh of bulls
                                  or drink the blood of goats?
                                  14 Sacrifice thank offerings to God,
                                  fulfill your vows to the Most High,
                                  15 and call on me in the day of trouble;
                                  I will deliver you, and you will honor me.
                                • Very. Rev. Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 24 5:01 AM
                                    READ: Matthew 16:21-28 Appended

                                    For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own
                                    soul? —Matthew 16:26

                                    Several years ago a friend of mine visited an exhibit of relics from the
                                    infamous Titanic voyage. Exhibit visitors were given a replica ticket with the
                                    name of an actual passenger or crew member who, decades earlier, had embarked on
                                    the trip of a lifetime. After the tour group walked through the exhibit viewing
                                    pieces of silver dinnerware and other artifacts, the tour ended with an
                                    unforgettable twist.

                                    A large board listed the names of all the passengers, including their
                                    status—first class, second class, crew. As my friend looked for the name of the
                                    person whose ticket he was holding, he noticed a line across the board dividing
                                    the names. Above the line were the names of those who were “saved” and below the
                                    line all those who were “lost.”

                                    The parallel to our life on earth is profound. It really doesn’t make any
                                    difference how the world ranks your status. The only thing that ultimately
                                    matters is whether you are “saved” or “lost.” As Jesus said, “What profit is it
                                    to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?” (Matt. 16:26).
                                    Perhaps you’ve already trusted in Christ for your salvation. But what about your
                                    fellow passengers? Instead of sizing them up by the externals, talk to them
                                    about their ultimate destination. —Joe Stowell

                                    It’s not what I achieve that qualifies,
                                    It matters not if I gain wealth or fame;
                                    The only thing I must be certain of
                                    Is “Have I put my trust in Jesus’ name?” —Hess

                                    In light of eternity, what one believes is far more important than what one
                                    achieves.
                                    Matthew 16:21-28

                                    Jesus Predicts His Death 21 From that time on Jesus began to explain to his
                                    disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of
                                    the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that he must be
                                    killed and on the third day be raised to life.

                                    22 Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. “Never, Lord!” he said. “This
                                    shall never happen to you!”

                                    23 Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling
                                    block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human
                                    concerns.”

                                    24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny
                                    themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 25 For whoever wants to save
                                    their life[a] will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. 26
                                    What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their
                                    soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? 27 For the Son of Man
                                    is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward
                                    each person according to what they have done.

                                    28 “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before
                                    they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

                                    Footnotes:
                                    1. Matthew 16:25 The Greek word means either life or soul; also in verse 26.
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 8, 2011
                                      READ: John 6:4-14 Appended

                                      There is a lad here who has five barley loaves and two small fish, but what are they among so many? John 6:9

                                      Skeptical about the usefulness of a small lunch, Andrew said to Jesus, What are [these five loaves and two fish] among so many?� (John 6:9). Yet the little lunch in the hands of Jesus turned out to be a huge blessing. So, before you think that you don't have much to offer Jesus, consider this:

                                      Edward Kimball, a Sunday school teacher in Boston, decided to visit a young man in his class to be sure he was a Christian. That day he led that man, Dwight L.
                                      Moody, to the Lord.
                                      Moody, the Billy Graham of the 19th century, had a major impact on Wilbur
                                      Chapman. Chapman, a prominent evangelist, recruited Billy Sunday to join in his
                                      evangelistic campaigns. In turn, Sunday launched a national ministry that had
                                      great results in cities like Charlotte, North Carolina. An organization that
                                      started as a result of Sunday's revival invited evangelist Mordecai Ham to
                                      Charlotte. In one of those meetings, Billy Graham received Christ as his Savior
                                      and later became the most prominent evangelist of our time.

                                      When you think you don't have much to offer, remember Sunday school teacher
                                      Edward Kimball, who spent a Saturday afternoon reaching out to someone in his
                                      class. God has a special way of using routine faithfulness in the small things�
                                      to accomplish great things! - Joe Stowell

                                      What may seem insignificant,
                                      Mundane, routine, or small
                                      Is often used by God to show
                                      His power over all. - Sper

                                      God uses small things to accomplish great things for His glory.
                                      John 6:4-14

                                      4 The Jewish Passover Festival was near.
                                      5 When Jesus looked up and saw a great crowd coming toward him, he said to
                                      Philip, Where shall we buy bread for these people to eat?� 6 He asked this only
                                      to test him, for he already had in mind what he was going to do.
                                      7 Philip answered him, It would take more than half a year's wages[a] to buy enough bread for each one to have a bite!�
                                      8 Another of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter's brother, spoke up, 9 Here is a boy with five small barley loaves and two small fish, but how far will they go among so many?�
                                      10 Jesus said, Have the people sit down. There was plenty of grass in that place, and they sat down (about five thousand men were there). 11 Jesus then took the loaves, gave thanks, and distributed to those who were seated as much as they wanted. He did the same with the fish.

                                      12 When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, Gather the
                                      pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.� 13 So they gathered them and
                                      filled twelve baskets with the pieces of the five barley loaves left over by
                                      those who had eaten.

                                      14 After the people saw the sign Jesus performed, they began to say, Surely this is the Prophet who is to come into the world.�

                                      Footnotes:
                                      1. John 6:7 Greek take two hundred denarii
                                    • Rev. Fr. Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 9, 2011
                                        READ: Deuteronomy Appended

                                        The Lord your God led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you and test you, to know what was in your heart. Deuteronomy 8:2

                                        If there is any such thing as a universal question, it may be this: Are we there yet? Generations of children have asked it. They have then grown into adults who have to answer the same question when their children ask.

                                        Whenever I read the books of Moses, I wonder how many times he heard that question from the Israelites. Before rescuing them from slavery and leading them out of Egypt, Moses told them that the Lord would lead them to a land flowing with milk and honey� (Ex. 3:8). He did, but first they spent 40 years wandering in the wilderness. This was no ordinary wandering, however. They were not lost; they were wandering for a purpose. After 400 years of slavery, the children of
                                        Israel needed to have their hearts, souls, and minds reoriented toward God. This was accomplished in the wilderness (Deut. 8:2,15-18), but not before an entire generation died because of their disobedience (Num. 32:13).

                                        In life, it sometimes seems as if we are wandering in circles. We feel lost. We want to ask God, Are we there yet? How much longer? At such times, it helps to remember that the journey, not just the destination, is important to God. He uses it to humble us, test us, and show us what is in our hearts. - JulieAckerman Link

                                        All God's testings have a purpose�
                                        Someday you will see the light;
                                        All He asks is that you trust Him,
                                        Walk by faith and not by sight. - Zoller

                                        It's the journey, not just the destination, that's important.

                                        Deuteronomy 8
                                        Do Not Forget the LORD 1 Be careful to follow every command I am giving you today, so that you may live and increase and may enter and possess the land the LORD promised on oath to your ancestors. 2 Remember how the LORD your God led you all the way in the wilderness these forty years, to humble and test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands. 3 He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your ancestors had known, to teach you that man
                                        does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD. 4 Your clothes did not wear out and your feet did not swell during these forty years. 5 Know then in your heart that as a man disciplines his son, so the LORD your God disciplines you. 6 Observe the commands of the LORD your God, walking in obedience to him and revering him. 7 For the LORD your God is bringing you into a good land a land with brooks, streams, and deep springs gushing out into the valleys and hills; 8 a land with wheat and barley, vines and fig trees, pomegranates, olive oil and honey; 9 a land where bread will not be scarce and you will lack nothing; a land where the rocks are iron and you can dig copper out of the hills. 10 When you have eaten and are satisfied, praise the LORD your God for the good land he has given you. 11 Be careful that you do not forget the LORD your God, failing to observe his commands, his laws and his decrees that I am giving you this day. 12 Otherwise, when you eat and are satisfied, when you build fine houses and settle down, 13 and when your herds and flocks grow large and your silver and gold increase and all you have is multiplied, 14 then your heart will become proud and you will forget the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. 15 He led you through the vast and dreadful wilderness, that thirsty and waterless land, with its venomous snakes and scorpions. He brought you water out of hard rock. 16 He gave you manna to eat in the wilderness, something your ancestors had never known, to humble and test you so that in the end it might go well with you. 17 You may say to yourself, My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me.� 18 But remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your ancestors, as it is
                                        today. 19 If you ever forget the LORD your God and follow other gods and worship and bow down to them, I testify against you today that you will surely be destroyed. 20 Like the nations the LORD destroyed before you, so you will be destroyed for not obeying the LORD your God.
                                      • Very. Rev. Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Mar 15, 2011
                                          READ: Revelation 3:14-22Appended

                                          [You] do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked.
                                          —Revelation 3:17

                                          One of my favorite stories is about the Texas rancher who was doing agricultural
                                          consulting for a farmer in Germany. He asked the German farmer about the size of
                                          his property, to which he replied, “About a mile square.” When the German asked
                                          the Texan about the size of his ranch, the rancher explained that if he got in
                                          his pick-up truck at dawn and drove until sunset he would still be on his ranch.
                                          Not to be outdone, the farmer replied, “I used to have an old truck like that!”

                                          All joking aside, it’s important to have the right perspective. Unfortunately,
                                          the Christians in Laodicea had the wrong perspective about wealth (Rev.
                                          3:14-22). By all appearances, they were rich. They had plenty of earthly goods
                                          and thought they needed nothing—not even Jesus. But Jesus had a different
                                          perspective. In spite of their material prosperity, He saw that they were
                                          “wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked” (v.17). So He invited them to
                                          become truly rich by seeking what only He could provide: purity, character,
                                          righteousness, and wisdom.

                                          Let’s not make the Laodicean mistake. Instead, let’s keep our perspective right
                                          about what it means to be rich. True wealth is not measured by what you have but
                                          by who you are in Christ. —Joe Stowell

                                          In Christ we’re rich beyond belief
                                          With wealth the world cannot see;
                                          We have new strength and character,
                                          New righteousness and purity. —Sper

                                          The poorest person is he whose only wealth is money.
                                          Revelation 3:14-22

                                          To the Church in Laodicea 14 “To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:
                                          These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of
                                          God’s creation. 15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish
                                          you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot
                                          nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17 You say, ‘I am rich; I have
                                          acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are
                                          wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold
                                          refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you
                                          can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can
                                          see.

                                          19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. 20
                                          Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the
                                          door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.

                                          21 To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my
                                          throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22
                                          Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Mar 15, 2011
                                            READ: Matthew 5:1-12 Appended

                                            Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. Matthew 5:8

                                            The Gran Telescopio Canarias, one of the world’s most powerful telescopes, sits atop an extinct volcano on La Palma, Canary Islands. Inaugurated in July 2009 by King Carlos of Spain, it offers astronomers an unusually clear view of the heavens. Located at 7,870 feet, the telescope is above the cloud cover, where the prevailing winds are dry and turbulence-free. Here, near the equator, scientists can study all of the Northern Celestial Hemisphere and part of the
                                            Southern.

                                            Jesus chose a mountainside to teach His followers about the characteristics of a life yielded to God. There He taught them that attitude, not altitude, was the key to having a clear view of the Father.

                                            Tucked into the passage known as the Beatitudes, Jesus said: Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God� (Matt. 5:8). This is not just for the few who try to achieve it, but for all who will humbly receive it. To have a heart that is clean in God's eyes, we need to accept the Father's pardon through Christ His Son. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse [purify] us from all unrighteousness� (1 John 1:9).

                                            A mountaintop is a great place to see the stars, but to clearly see God requires a change of heart. - David McCasland

                                            Since by faith I have clear vision,
                                            Your blest Word is rich and new;
                                            Men with eyes by sin distorted
                                            Cannot all its treasures view. - Bosch

                                            To get a clear view of God, focus on Jesus Christ. Matthew 5:1-12

                                            Introduction to the Sermon on the Mount 1 Now when Jesus saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, 2 and he began to teach them.

                                            The Beatitudes He said:

                                            3 Blessed are the poor in spirit,
                                            for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
                                            4 Blessed are those who mourn,
                                            for they will be comforted.
                                            5 Blessed are the meek,
                                            for they will inherit the earth.
                                            6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
                                            for they will be filled.
                                            7 Blessed are the merciful,
                                            for they will be shown mercy.
                                            8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
                                            for they will see God.
                                            9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
                                            for they will be called children of God.
                                            10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
                                            for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
                                            11 Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.
                                            12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
                                          • Very. Rev. Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Mar 19, 2011
                                              READ: Joshua 4 Appended

                                              When your children ask . . . What are these stones?� then you shall let [them] know, saying, Israel crossed over this Jordan on dry land. Joshua 4:21-22

                                              Not long ago, our friends had a gathering at their house and invited a group of people who were all music lovers. Kevin and Ilsa, who are both gifted musicians, requested that each person or couple bring a rock for a fire pit that was often the site for their evening musical jams. But they didn't want just plain ol rocks. They asked that each one be marked with a name or date or event that indicated how or when everyone had become friends.

                                              God felt that the Israelites needed a reminder of an amazing event in their lives. Although the Jordan River had been at flood stage, the Israelites had been able to cross over on dry ground because God had stopped the water from flowing (Josh. 3:13-17). Something similar had happened years before in an escape from Egypt (see Ex. 14:21-31). On this occasion, however, God instructed His people to build a memorial of stones so that in the future when children would ask about the stones, parents could remind them of the mighty hand of God (Josh. 4:23-24).

                                              As God continually cared for the Israelites, He continues to provide for us today. What stones of remembrance� will you use to remind your children, grandchildren and even yourself of the evidence of God's might? Cindy Hess Kasper

                                              God's faithfulness we've known throughout the years,
                                              His oneness with us in our joys and tears;
                                              So many times the Lord has helped us through,
                                              Has answered prayer and given strength anew. - F. Hess

                                              Remembering God's goodness is a good cure for doubt.

                                              Joshua 4
                                              1 When the whole nation had finished crossing the Jordan, the LORD said to Joshua,
                                              2 Choose twelve men from among the people, one from each tribe,
                                              3 and tell them to take up twelve stones from the middle of the Jordan, from right where the priests are standing, and carry them over with you and put them down at the place where you stay tonight. 4 So Joshua called together the twelve men he had appointed from the Israelites, one from each tribe,
                                              5 and said to them, Go over before the ark of the LORD your God into the middle of the Jordan. Each of you is to take up a stone on his shoulder, according to the number of the tribes of the Israelites,
                                              6 to serve as a sign among you. In the future, when your children ask you, What do these stones mean?
                                              7 tell them that the flow of the Jordan was cut off before the ark of the covenant of the LORD. When it crossed the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan were cut off. These stones are to be a memorial to the people of Israel forever.�
                                              8 So the Israelites did as Joshua commanded them. They took twelve stones from the middle of the Jordan, according to the number of the tribes of the Israelites, as the LORD had told Joshua; and they carried them over with them to their camp, where they put them down.
                                              9 Joshua set up the twelve stones that had been[a] in the middle of the Jordan at the spot where the priests who carried the ark of the covenant had stood. And they are there to this day.
                                              10 Now the priests who carried the ark remained standing in the middle of the Jordan until everything the LORD had commanded Joshua was done by the people, just as Moses had directed Joshua. The people hurried over,
                                              11 and as soon as all of them had crossed, the ark of the LORD and the priests came to the other side while the people watched.
                                              12 The men of Reuben, Gad and the half-tribe of Manasseh crossed over, ready for battle, in front of the Israelites, as Moses had directed them.
                                              13 About forty thousand armed for battle crossed over before the LORD to the plains of Jericho for war.
                                              14 That day the LORD exalted Joshua in the sight of all Israel; and they stood in awe of him all the days of his life, just as they had stood in awe of Moses.
                                              15 Then the LORD said to Joshua,
                                              16 Command the priests carrying the ark of the covenant law to come up out of the Jordan.
                                              17 So Joshua commanded the priests, Come up out of the Jordan.�
                                              18 And the priests came up out of the river carrying the ark of the covenant of the LORD. No sooner had they set their feet on the dry ground than the waters of the Jordan returned to their place and ran at flood stage as before.
                                              19 On the tenth day of the first month the people went up from the Jordan and camped at Gilgal on the eastern border of Jericho. 20 And Joshua set up at Gilgal the twelve stones they had taken out of the Jordan.
                                              21 He said to the Israelites, In the future when your descendants ask their parents, What do these stones mean?
                                              22 tell them, Israel crossed the Jordan on dry ground.
                                              23 For the LORD your God dried up the Jordan before you until you had crossed over. The LORD your God did to the Jordan what he had done to the Red Sea[b] when he dried it up before us until we had crossed over.
                                              24 He did this so that all the peoples of the earth might know that the hand of the LORD is powerful and so that you might always fear the LORD your God.�

                                              Footnotes:
                                              1. Joshua 4:9 Or Joshua also set up twelve stones
                                              2. Joshua 4:23 Or the Sea of Reeds
                                              Message 22 of 22 , May 8, 2011
                                                READ: Isaiah 66:7-13 Appended

                                                Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness.
                                                —Psalm 37:3

                                                When I stuck my camera into the bush to take a picture of the baby robins,
                                                they opened their mouths without opening their eyes. They were so used to
                                                having mama robin feed them whenever the branches moved that they didn’t even
                                                look to see who (or what) was causing the disturbance.
                                                That is the kind of trust that loving mothers instill in their children. That
                                                is the kind of mom I am blessed to have. Growing up, I could eat whatever food
                                                she put on the table without fear that it would harm me. Although she made me
                                                eat things I didn’t like, I knew she did so because they were good for me. If
                                                she cared only about what was easy for her, she would have let me eat junk
                                                food. No matter what Mom told me to do, or not to do, I knew she had my best
                                                interest in mind. She wasn’t trying to keep me from having fun; she was trying
                                                to protect me from being hurt.

                                                That is the kind of relationship we have with God, who compared Himself to a
                                                mother: “As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you” (Isa. 66:13).
                                                As His children, we have no reason to fear what happens to us nor to envy what
                                                happens to others: “Do not . . . be envious of the workers of iniquity” (Ps.
                                                37:1). When we trust His goodness, we are fed by His faithfulness. —Julie

                                                Ackerman Link

                                                Lord, we’re thankful for this example of motherhood.
                                                But even more, we’re grateful for Your faithful
                                                “mothering” of us displayed in Your compassion
                                                day by day. Help us to find rest in You. Amen.

                                                God’s care surrounds us.

                                                Isaiah 66:7-13

                                                7 “Before she goes into labor,
                                                she gives birth;
                                                before the pains come upon her,
                                                she delivers a son.
                                                8 Who has ever heard of such things?
                                                Who has ever seen things like this?
                                                Can a country be born in a day
                                                or a nation be brought forth in a moment?
                                                Yet no sooner is Zion in labor
                                                than she gives birth to her children.
                                                9 Do I bring to the moment of birth
                                                and not give delivery?” says the LORD.
                                                “Do I close up the womb
                                                when I bring to delivery?” says your God.
                                                10 “Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her,
                                                all you who love her;
                                                rejoice greatly with her,
                                                all you who mourn over her.
                                                11 For you will nurse and be satisfied
                                                at her comforting breasts;
                                                you will drink deeply
                                                and delight in her overflowing abundance.”
                                                12 For this is what the LORD says:
                                                “I will extend peace to her like a river,
                                                and the wealth of nations like a flooding stream;
                                                you will nurse and be carried on her arm
                                                and dandled on her knees.
                                                13 As a mother comforts her child,
                                                so will I comfort you;
                                                and you will be comforted over Jerusalem.”