Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

  • Very Rev. Fr. Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moola
    Message 1 of 153 , Dec 2, 2010
      READ: Acts 3:17-26 Appended Below

      Repent . . . , so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord. Acts 3:19

      What do you find most refreshing? A cold drink on a hot day? An afternoon nap? Listening to praise and worship music?

      The biblical theme of refreshing has a variety of physical and spiritual meanings. In Scripture we read of refreshment by resting on the Sabbath (Ex. 23:12), with cool water after physical activity (Judg. 15:18-19), by soothing music (1 Sam. 16:23), and with encouraging fellowship (2 Tim. 1:16).

      The apostle Peter describes a time of spiritual refreshment that took place on the Day of Pentecost. He exhorted his listeners to repent and respond to the gospel that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord� (Acts 3:19). The apostle's statement was especially meaningful to the Jewish audience with its reference to the millennium when Messiah would rule. But the good news of spiritual life would also be extended to the Gentiles (Acts 10).

      Even now as believers we can experience a time of refreshing by quieting our hearts in a devotional time of prayer and Bible reading. When we spend time alone with the Lord, we can experience His peace and joy which renew us in spirit. Aren't you thankful for these daily times of spiritual refreshment? Dennis Fisher

      A Prayer: Lord, I need my spirit refreshed and renewed today. Speak to me through Your Word that I might hear Your heart, and help me to share my heart with You in prayer. Amen.

      When we draw near to God, our minds are refreshed and our strength is renewed.

      Acts 3:17-26 (New International Version)
      17 Now, fellow Israelites, I know that you acted in ignorance, as did your leaders.
      18 But this is how God fulfilled what he had foretold through all the
      prophets, saying that his Messiah would suffer. 19 Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord,
      20 and that he may send the Messiah, who has been appointed for
      you even Jesus.
      21 Heaven must receive him until the time comes for God to restore everything, as he promised long ago through his holy prophets.
      22 For Moses said, �The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own people; you must listen to everything he tells you.
      23 Anyone who does not listen to him will be completely cut off from their people.[a]
      24 Indeed, beginning with Samuel, all the prophets who have spoken have foretold these days. 25 And you are heirs of the prophets and of the covenant God made with your fathers. He said to Abraham, �Through your offspring all peoples on earth will be blessed.[b]
      26 When God raised up his servant, he sent him first to you to bless you by turning each of you from your wicked ways.�

      Footnotes:
      1. Acts 3:23 Deut. 18:15,18,19
      2. Acts 3:25 Gen. 22:18; 26:4
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.