Prayer for the "DEAD" ! Is it Biblical? Part 2

  • Fr. John. K.K
    Message 1 of 1039 , Feb 5, 2003
      We do not pray for those dead who did not believe, confess or baptize
      in the name of the Triune God and who led a filthy, unholy,
      unrighteous and unrepentant life. For instance, suicide is ends ones
      own life. Desperateness, loneliness and depression overtake such
      people. Suicide is a final act of hopelessness, which is sin. We have
      no right to take out our own life, for we do not belong to ourselves
      but to Christ who bought us for a price which was nothing but His
      life as ransom to our sins. Only the Creator has the right to take
      our lives. Ignoring this concept is contempt of the Creator and
      taking upon oneself unlawful burden of guilt and sin. The reward of
      sin is death and soul of the sinner who ends his or her life
      virtually spoils the soul. We do not pray such of those who lost hope
      or never had hope and committed suicide. Church policy is not to
      conduct funeral service in such cases. However there is a strong
      lobby in the ecclesiastical inner circle who feels that courtesy
      should be extended at least to conduct a fair funeral for suicide
      victims. I agree this proposition in part for three reasons, first,
      it would greatly ameliorate the emotional overtures of the near
      relatives and friends for we have no reason to take for granted that
      the surviving members of the family lost hope. We have to comfort the
      bereaved. Second, Even in suicide we have to consider the intention.
      For example, there was certain elder of Jerusalem named Razis who
      denounced Nicanor. Because of his ardent patriotism to the Jewish
      religion, Nicanor sent more than five hundred solders to arrest
      Razis. The soldiers surrounded him and he could not escape. He,
      being reluctant to surrender to ungodly people, turned his sword on
      himself. Deeply injured and profusely bleeding he stood up gallantly
      amidst enemies. He tore out his entrails, flung with both hands and
      called upon the Lord of life and spirit to give them back to him and
      thus he died, 2 Mac 14:37-46. This was a clear case of suicide but he
      had hope in God. There are number of such occasions when enemy
      aggression takes place. Third, medical reasons such as unintentional,
      ignorant, mistaken notion or inability to judiciously distinguish
      right and wrong are to be leniently viewed. Believers on the
      contrary, are hopeful and do not worry about death. Whether such
      believers live or die they belong to Christ. The believer has the
      promise of eternal life and hope. We pray for them who are alive and
      agile in Christ. Many people hold that we should not pray for those
      who did not lead a pious life. They will be rewarded according to
      their merits. True, Church positively teaches this principle. Who
      except Omniscient God can apprehend the fathomless human mind? God
      unlike human being looks at the heart rather than out side
      appearance. Who are we, or any one for that matter, to critically
      view others, or to judge others whether or not he or she accepted
      Christ as personal savior at least at the eleventh hour of death? For
      instance the thief at the right hand side of Jesus Christ on the
      Cross repented and believed in Christ at the time of his death. He
      heard Jesus saying, `you will be with me today in Paradise.' We know
      it so because it is written so. We have no mind of Christ to know
      what one thinks or is about to do. Implying the benefit of ignorance
      we will be more prudent to refrain from evaluating others. After all
      what is our measuring stick to judge others, except a pile of defiled
      thoughts, blurred vision, conceit, selfishness and often targeted to
      vindicate our follies. `Judge not others lest you will be judged.'
      Church always upheld this norm. Thus in the absence of alternative
      evidences to the contrary we presume that all believers are eligible
      to receive the grace of God and we pray for.

      Contd... Part 2
    • Jaison
      Message 1039 of 1039 , Sep 21, 2011
        Dear all