Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

  • Very Rev. Fr. Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moola
    Message 1 of 153 , Dec 1, 2010
      READ: 2 Corinthians 4:8-15Appended Below

      We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed. 2 Corinthians 4:8

      Have you ever heard skeptics say that the Christian faith is nothing more than a crutch that the only reason people claim to trust Jesus is that they are weaklings who have to make up religion� to get by?

      Apparently those skeptics haven't heard about the doctor in one Far Eastern country who spent 2-1/2 years in jail being reeducated because he professed faith in Christ. Then, after his release, he was arrested again this time for his efforts at his church.

      And perhaps those skeptics haven't heard about Paul. After trusting Christ, he was arrested, flogged, mocked, and shipwrecked (2 Cor. 11:16-29).

      These believers were not looking for a crutch. No, they had something deep and essential in their hearts. They had a personal relationship with God's relationship born of faith in the work of Jesus on the cross. As a result, they became children of the King eager to sacrifice everything for the privilege of proclaiming Him. They were not limping along looking for something to hold them
      up. A crutch? Hardly. Faith in Christ is not about safety and caution. It's about believing Jesus and trusting Him no matter what. It's about taking up a daily cross (Luke 9:23) and living for the Savior. - Dave Branon

      Take up your cross, the Savior said,
      If you would My disciple be;
      Take up your cross with willing heart
      And humbly follow after Me. - Everest

      Because Jesus bore the cross for us, we willingly take it up for Him.

      2 Corinthians 4:8-15 (New International Version)

      8 We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair;
      9 persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.
      10 We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body.
      11 For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus sake, so that his life may also be revealed in our mortal body.
      12 So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you.
      13 It is written: I believed; therefore I have spoken.�[a] Since we have that same spirit of[b] faith, we also believe and therefore speak,
      14 because we know that the one who raised the Lord Jesus from the dead will also raise us with Jesus and present us with you to himself.
      15 All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God.

      Footnotes:
      1. 2 Corinthians 4:13 Psalm 116:10 (see Septuagint)
      2. 2 Corinthians 4:13 Or Spirit-given
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.