Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

    Message 1 of 153 , Nov 29, 2010
      READ: Exodus 4:1-5 Appended Below

      So the Lord said to [Moses], What is that in your hand? Exodus 4:2

      If you have a tendency to despair over lost opportunities or if you worry about the future, ask yourself this question: What is right in front of me? In other words, what circumstances and relationships are currently available to you? This question can get your focus off a past regret or a scary future and back to what God can do in your life.

      It's similar to the question God asked Moses at the burning bush. Moses was troubled. Aware of his own weaknesses, he expressed fear about the Lord's call for him to lead Israel out of bondage. So God simply asked Moses, What is that in your hand? (Ex. 4:2). The Lord shifted Moses attention away from his anxiety about the future and suggested he notice what was right in front of him a shepherd's rod. God showed Moses that He could use this ordinary staff to perform miracles as a sign for unbelieving people. As Moses trust in God grew, so did the magnitude of miracles God worked through His servant.

      Do you think about past failures too much? Do you have fearful thoughts about the future? Recall God's question: What is that in your hand? What current circumstances and relationships can God use for your benefit and His glory?

      Entrust them and your life to Him. Dennis Fisher

      Onward and upward your course plan today,
      Seeking new heights as you walk Jesus way;
      Heed not past failures, but strive for the prize,
      Aiming for goals fit for His holy eyes. Brandt

      You can't change the past, but you'll ruin the present by worrying about the future.

      Exodus 4:1-5 (New International Version)
      Exodus 4
      Signs for Moses 1 Moses answered, What if they do not believe me or listen to me and say, �The LORD did not appear to you�

      2 Then the LORD said to him, What is that in your hand?�
      A staff, he replied.
      3 The LORD said, Throw it on the ground.�
      Moses threw it on the ground and it became a snake, and he ran from it.
      4 Then the LORD said to him, Reach out your hand and take it by the tail. So Moses reached out and took hold of the snake and it turned back into a staff in his hand.
      5 This,� said the LORD, is so that they may believe that the LORD,
      the God of their fathers the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob has appeared to you.

      Forwarded by Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.