Re: Variation in Tradition?

  • Vineeth John Abraham
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 28, 2010
      Hi,

      I couldn't see any reply on the topic. As far i know, black rope across the kupayam is a traditional one. It is a symbol of service. It is believed that Altar boys are there to serve and participate in Holy Eucharist with priest or Bishop.

      I remember reading in one place about the same in Old Testament days.
      Not much people was allowed to enter into the Holy Altar. Only Main
      Priest will enter and pray for rest. If something happened to Main
      priest (God's angry fall upon him and he dies), no body was allowed to enter the Holy Altar to take his body. They used to make a hook in a long stick and clamp it in the black rope which tied across the Kupayam and take the body.

      But I have never read anything about the same in New Testament period, or in our church times. That's the reason i send out the mail. Any knowledge sharing in this topic will help!

      Thanks and Regards

      Vineeth John Abraham
      4187
    • Vineeth John Abraham
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 29, 2010
        Hi,

        I had a search on the same topic, could find some which would like to share.

        Priest puts on the phiro (lit. 'fruit'), a small black cap which the
        priest must wear during all public prayers. It consists of seven
        sections which indicate the full priesthood of the celebrant. Bishops
        including the Patriarch wear it under the Eskimo.

        [Note: In Malankara, a cylindrical black cap is used by priests in liturgical as well as secular settings. Priests in the Middle East wear such black caps in non-liturgical settings, while bishops and the Patriarch may use a red cap. These caps were part of the secular dress required of Syriac Christian priests in the days of the Ottoman empire. However, the skull cap shaped phiro is always used in public prayer.]

        If the priest is a monk, he then puts on the eskimo, a hood worn by monks at all times.

        [Note: In Malankara, this vestment is incorrectly referred to as 'masanapsa', a corruption of masnaphto, described below.]

        You can refer http://sor.cua.edu for the same!

        Thanks and Regards
        Vineeth John Abraham