Today with Jesus - (Revised)

  • Rev. Fr. Paulose V V
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2010
      Today’s Bible verse

      ”I tell you the truth, this poor widow has given more than all others who are making contributions.” (Mark 12:43)

      Do you want to get the blessings and joy of being a generous giver?

      Jesus said, “It is more blessed to give than to receive.” To give is an innate nature of this universe. God gave himself on the Cross so that we could all have eternal life. A mother gives her time, energy and sometimes, even sacrifices herself for her children. Like a candle, we should burn and melt to give light to others. Giving does not mean to only give from our abundance, but also can be done in poverty. There is nothing stopping us from giving to others. The contribution of a single penny by a poor man is more blessed than a billion dollars from a billionaire. When you count the offertory money, don’t forget to count the pennies as these also signify the sacrifices and the heart of a giver. Let us count each of our blessings and be thankful to the Giver. Let us not waste anything, not even a piece of bread. Let us make use of what we have judiciously and share it with others – money, knowledge, happiness, time etc. May you be blessed for your generosity.

      A leper had rung the door bell of Mother Teresa’s house. In Mother own words, “It was a leper shivering with cold. I asked him whether he needed anything from me. I wanted to offer food and a blanket to protect him from the bitter cold night. He replied in the negative. He showed me his begging bowl. He told me in Bengali: ”Mother, people were talking that you had received some prize. This morning I decided that whatever I got through begging today, I would hand over to you this evening. That is why I am here”. I found in the begging bowl 75 paise (2 pennies). The gift was small. I keep it even today on my table because this tiny gift reveals to me the largeness of a human heart. It is beautiful.

      We are poor because we don’t give. We don’t give either because we are greedy or we think that it makes a dent on our resources. This is not true as in reality, the more we give, the more we get.

      Prayer: Jesus, let the poor be blessed with all the necessities of life. We pray for a world sans poverty. Let the rich have a heart of giving without any reservations and bless their generosity. All we ask in the name of Jesus. Amen.

      Love

      Paulose Achen

      Toronto, Monday, 29th November 2010