Prayer for the "DEAD" ! Is it Biblical? Part 1

  • Fr. John K.K
    Message 1 of 1039 , Feb 5, 2003
      Dear moderators

      I saw the posting of Mr. Rajan Mathew and reply by Mr. Thomas Daniel,
      regarding prayer for the dead. So I thought of sending my old
      document on the subject. Though it is bit long, I hope it will give a
      comprehensive idea of the subject

      Faithful often confront me with the question, why do we pray for the
      dead? Is it biblical? Is there any benefit in doing so? Etc. They are
      not satisfied if I say, `yes, it is biblical.' They want direct
      command as in the case of "baptize" or "do this in remembrance of
      me," etc. Can any one answer this question in the shortest form such
      as `yes' or `no'? If at all one dare so will it put an end to the
      ever-staggering questions as to the correctness and authority of such
      an answer? One of the many monumental truths, which the protagonists
      of Protestantism deliberately neglected, is the fact that
      Christianity inherited, among other things, prayer for the dead,
      which would allude that it is one of the oldest practices of mankind.
      One answer is a blatant `no,' we do not pray for the dead. Another
      answer is a vehement `yes.' So it requires careful study. A
      superficial answer would indeed create more complications than
      satisfaction. I have answered both negatively and positively because
      of the same reason that is, we pray for those who were Christians in
      letter and in spirit. Those who believed confessed and baptized in
      the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit. They have become
      integral part of the Church which is the body of Christ, took part in
      the redeeming flesh and blood of Christ, observed the divine
      statutes, kept the faith until death and departed to heavenly abode
      with hope are eligible for salvation through grace of Christ.
      Contd... Part 2
    • Jaison
      Message 1039 of 1039 , Sep 21, 2011
        Dear all