Re: Orthodox faith at our Sunday school syllabus

  • Reji Joseph
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 26, 2010
      Dear Abilash,

      I totally agree with your suggestion of including these topics in our Study materials.

      However, I am not sure how many of our children have attended Sunday school regularly till 10th. We may say that Sunday School should be made mandatory for all, but I am not sure if it is practical. There are a lot of schools which have 6 working days a week and a "heavy" Sunday school syllabus would be an additional load on these tender shoulders. That is probably one of the reasons why our sunday school committee has opted for a "lighter" syllabus.

      Back in my school days, I used to consider Sunday school as an extra burden and was never a regular. But now I feel that I dont know anything about our church and its rich heritage and traditions. I am sure I am not a loner in this aspect and there are a lot of people like me who are looking for opportunities to learn about our church. I think we can focus on keeping all the information organized in a central place, so that when the prodigal son (like me!) returns to the church, he can find all that he needs in one place.

      In my efforts to learn more about our church, faith and traditions, I have come across a few websites which have a wealth of knowledge. The links are mentioned below for anyone interested.

      Mor Adai Study Center - There are more than 30 books published so far and you can get a copy of all these (and any future publications) for a sum of Rs.2500/- These books are absolute treasures! You can join the book club or order specific books through the wesbite itself.
      Link: http://www.moradaistudycenter.org/

      Mor Behnan Study Circle - Mor Behnan Study Circle (MBSC) has taken up this ambitious project of making available a free online library for the benefit of all. Through this library, spiritual, faith and history related books will be made online.
      Link: http://www.malankaralibrary.org/

      A lot of articles about our faith and tradition is also available on the below websites of our church.
      Link: http://www.syrianchurch.org/
      Link: http://sor.cua.edu/

      Coptic Church - I am not sure if any of the beliefs of the Coptic Church is in contradiction to our beliefs. But I found this pdf very useful since it addresses topics like Baptism, Tradition, Intercession, Fasting, Veneration of Saints...etc which form core of our beliefs. This was written by H.H Pope Shenouda III of the Coptic Orthodox Church.
      Link: http://www.copticchurch.net/topics/theology/comptheo.pdf

      Regards,
      Reji Joseph
      Member Id - 4513