Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

    Message 1 of 153 , Nov 24, 2010
      READ: Luke 7:11-23 Appended Below

      The Sun of Righteousness shall arise with healing in His wings. Malachi 4:2

      As I looked at family members gathered around the Thanksgiving table, I smiled at the range of talents represented. At one end were doctors; at the other end were musicians. Thanks to doctors, human bodies operate more efficiently. Thanks to musicians, beautiful sounds uplift our spirits and soothe troubled minds.

      Although their abilities are very different, doctors and musicians rely on the same thing: an orderly universe. Without order, there would be no predictability; without predictability, there would be no music or medicine.

      Within our orderly world, disease is a sign that something is out of order.� Healing is a sign that God will some day restore all things to their original condition (Acts 3:21). When John the Baptist wanted to know whether Jesus was the Coming One, Jesus said, Go and tell John . . . the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, the poor have the gospel preached to them� (Luke 7:20-22). Healing was evidence that Jesus was Israel's Messiah (Mal. 4:2).

      I am thankful for music that soothes my troubled mind and soul, and for medicine that heals my body, because they remind me of the ultimate healing and restoration that Christ is accomplishing.

      Julie Ackerman Link

      What are the prospects for this earth?
      What hope is there for man?
      A world restored through Jesus Christ
      In whom we see God's plan.

      D. De Haan

      Jesus specializes in restoration.

      Luke 7:11-23 (New International Version)

      Jesus Raises a Widow's Son
      11 Soon afterward, Jesus went to a town called Nain, and his disciples and a large crowd went along with him.
      12 As he approached the town gate, a dead person was being carried out the only son of his mother, and she was a widow. And a large crowd from the town was with her.
      13 When the Lord saw her, his heart went out to her and he said, Don't cry.
      14 Then he went up and touched the bier they were carrying him on, and the bearers stood still. He said, Young man, I say to you, get up!
      15 The dead man sat up and began to talk, and Jesus gave him back to his mother.
      16 They were all filled with awe and praised God. A great prophet has appeared among us, they said. God has come to help his people.
      17 This news about Jesus spread throughout Judea and the surrounding country.

      Jesus and John the Baptist

      18 John's disciples told him about all these things. Calling two of them,
      19 he sent them to the Lord to ask, Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?�
      20 When the men came to Jesus, they said, John the Baptist sent us to you to ask, �Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?
      21 At that very time Jesus cured many who had diseases, sicknesses and evil spirits, and gave sight to many who were blind.
      22 So he replied to the messengers, Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy[a] are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor.
      23 Blessed is anyone who does not stumble on account of me.�

      Footnotes:

      1. Luke 7:22 The Greek word traditionally translated leprosy was used for various diseases affecting the skin.
      Message 153 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
        READ: Psalm 31:9-15

        Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
        Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
        September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
        images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
        the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
        was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
        security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
        always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
        Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
        also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
        felt deeply within our family and
        his circle of friends.
        No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
        comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
        heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
        In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
        We have a Friend
        who’ll never leave,
        Who’s closer than a brother;
        He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
        To comfort like no other. —Sper
        When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.