An IOC member accusation

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 1039 , Feb 1, 2003
      In the Indian Orthodox Forum, one of their member was trying to
      accuse the present hierarchy of the Syrian Orthodox Church as
      follows.

      ---------Many real Syrians are against the present hierarchy of
      Damascus based Patriarch. Following is a website of the real Syrians.
      http://bethsuryoyo.com/currentevents/BishopLetter/LetterByEliasMalkeHa
      nna.html
      http://www.f21.parsimony.net/forum37811/-------------------

      As many of our members are also receiving their postings, I thought,
      itis my duty to bring some light on this issue.

      Hanna Hajjar who runs the forum where this message appeared, is a
      known trouble maker. You are all aware perhaps of the conflict
      between the Assyrians and the Arameans that has affected the SOC. The
      Assyrians who are mostly in the Church of the East (Nestorian church)
      have political ambitions of establishing a state for themselves in
      Iraq. They claim that all ancient Christians of Mesopotamia are
      Assyrian. Arameans are not willing to agree with the claim and anyone
      who reads the Bible knows this. The SOC has mostly people of Aramean
      descent, although under the Maphrianate of Tirgis there are people
      who may claim an Assyrian ancestry. I don't think that anyone can
      trace themselves to purely an Aramean or Assyrian line; so the
      affiliations today are primarily political. Anyway this issue has
      affected the SOC even though Assyrians are a minority. They have
      created trouble for HH and all bishops of our church who have spoken
      out against the unnecessary divisions these people have created.

      Hanna Hajjar is one of them and so are a number of people who write
      on his forum. They are also the source of the rumors on HE Mor
      Clemis. Since they are opposed to all SOC bishops because of their
      stand on the Assyrian issue, they will write anything that supports
      their claims and are misusing this issue.

      Please note that, this subject is live only in the forum run by Hanna
      Hajar

      Everybody seems to suspect that some investment of money was made by
      HE with the knowledge of HH and bishops like Mor Yulius Cicek and the
      money may have been lost. But none of those who have lost the money
      have come forward and complained within any church forum or in any
      civil courts.

      Mor Clemis is a very simple person and devout. He strictly observes
      the traditions of the church including prayer, fasting, etc. He is a
      very innocent man. He had the desire to do many things for the
      church. In his residence he almost always immersed in study in his
      library. He is one of the few masters of Syriac living today. He is
      widely known to be very close to HH having been his secretary for
      several years. He had very good relations with his archdiocese and
      church being the simple man he was. He is known to make decisions
      only after consulting with HH and the people. If he did go in for an
      investment of the money I strongly believe that he did with the
      knowledge of many. Could he have been defrauded? I can see that, but
      I would think so were the others involved. Since nobody has come out
      we do not know what happened

      In Our Lords Love
      Thomas Daniel
      Cheppaud, Alleppy (Dist), Kerala, India