Role of an woman in our church

  • Rev. Fr. Paulose V V
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 18, 2010
      Male chauvinism is the only reason for the disparity and inequality of women in our church. God created men and women in Adam. In Christ all are equal. There are some special roles for men and women to be played according their body built not according to their abilities and gifts. In bible we could see a number of prophetess and women evangelists.

      In biblical times and later it was not safe for women to travel and do work out side. Now we are not living in that dark ages or a barbaric era. Women are in forefront of all areas of work and they are out witting gents in sincerity, hard work, honesty and all goodness of life. The best rulers are women. In temporal world, there is no bar for women to take any job and they get equal pay for it.

      Each soul (Women and Men) has the same value in front of God. There is some biblical quoting bias to gents. That we should not be taken in to apply, blanket ban for women to do any role in the church. Once, one of the lady members of my church asked to Late H.B. L.L.Mor Baselose Paulose II. “Why does an women not allow to become a priest in our church” H.B. replied, “Jesus didn’t select any woman as His apostles”. That is an open-ended reply, and we should ponder on it, just like our church is not entertaining any married priests to becoming bishops. I feel and believe our church would be better off if we answer affirmative for women roles and married bishops.

      Majority of our gents and ladies still not for changing any of our old customs even if it is unbiblical, illogical and irrational. There is some fear of God's wrath, to talk and act for the truth. That is always in our blood. Secretly we say yes for it but publically nay. When I was the vicar of St. Thomas Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church in Chennai, (1985-1009) our Church has given equality for all sex in all our church activities, managing committees and trustees in the charitable trust. So everything went well. I haven’t seen any wrong to takes baby girl to Altar after baptism. Women are not an object; they are with spirit and soul, blood and flesh, heart and mind, emotions and feelings just like gents. In heaven we are all like angels. We are here, the division between women and gents, God intended for, partners of His creation and companion.

      love

      Fr.V.V.Paulose
    • Abraham Eapen
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 20, 2010
        Found this interesting article on a non-denominational (but protestant) website about this topic, approaching the issue from a different perspective.

        http://www.gotquestions.org/women-pastors.html
        I don't think our church has a dearth of "leaders", rather we have less people willing to serve; and may be not enough moms and grandmas with enough time to pray and teach their children (like our mothers did for the past 20 centuries, that sustained this church in true faith), as they are forced to juggle the responsibilities at work and at home.

        -Abraham Eapen

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Rev. Fr. Paulose V V wrote:

        > Male chauvinism is the only reason for the disparity and inequality of women in our church. God created men and women in Adam.

        ..... I feel and believe our church would be better off if we answer affirmative for women roles and married bishops.
        .... Majority of our gents and ladies still not for changing any of our old customs even if it is unbiblical, illogical and irrational.
        > Fr.V.V.Paulose

      • Zach George Arapura
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 21, 2010
          I echo the sentiments of respected Achen, `Majority of our gents and ladies still not for changing any of our old customs even if it is unbiblical, illogical and irrational.'

          Our people should be made aware of the reasons for these customs. Only then they will be amenable to change.

          Quoting scripture in defense of these primitive customs will do no good. If one searches hard enough we can find that Bible can be made to support racial discrimination, slavery, etc. which in these days no sensible person will adhere to.

          In my humble opinion ORTHODOX faith is not about clinging onto medieval customs but to live a full life according to the principles of Christ and to strive for the greater good for ALL of humanity.
          In fact if we hold on to these archaic traditions, one shouldn't be surprised to see a diminished congregation.

          Even though the majority (?) of the members subscribe to the views expressed in this forum, change will not happen unless and until one is vocal about it. Keeping mum will do no good.

          I end this post by quoting Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi –
          `We must be the change we wish to see in the world'

          Submitted by
          Zach George Arapura
          Member #3083

          P.S. I am surprised that none of the women of this forum responded to this topic. I am sure there must be someone out there who shares the same views.
        • George John
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 21, 2010
            It appears that the Rev. Fr has not read through the Nov 17 post of Mr. Reji Joseph to find answers to why women are not consecrated as priests. The link from it I'm copying below.

            http://syrianchurch.org/PZakka/Artilces/WomeninSOC.pdf

            Such queries and responses from lay persons are understandable. Is the much extolled non Syriac orthodox theological education/syllabus (in other posts on that subject) or other motives, the reason for this kind of responses from priests of the church? Another subject to be debated..

            There are a number of roles that women can play in church and which they commendably do and for which they are respected.

            Though God created Man and Woman, the scriptures to my limited knowledge does not mention that they were created equal or identical. The Lord created the woman because he felt Adam was alone and needed something similar to Adam to help him in the garden of Eden. It may be noted that the scriptures say that God created the woman only after Adam had seen and named all the cattle, fowl and beasts of the earth and found none that was accepted by Adam as a help. God did not call for both Adam & Eve or Eve alone after the episode of eating from the Tree of Knowledge. He only called for Adam. God had appointed Adam as the caretaker of the garden and Eve as his helper, the chain of command and of responsibility was clearly defined. God called for Adam when they did not appear before Him for he was entrusted with the responsibility to see that the fruit from the tree of knowledge of Good and Evil was not eaten.

            George John
          • Cecil K Varghese
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 30, 2010
              Respected Fr .V V Paulose and Readers,

              Syrian Orthodox church has clear vision of woman's role in the church. Link given below is an article by Moran Mor Ignatius Zakka-I I was The Patriarch of the Apostolic See of Antioch &All the East The Supreme Head of the Universal Syrian Orthodox Church. This article will give answer to many of the questions.

              http://www.syrianchurch.org/pzakka/Artilces/WomeninSOC.pdf

              Thank You
              Cecil K Varghese
              ID # 890