A selection From John the Elder

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 1039 , Jan 29, 2003
      Glory to the abundance of your ineffable love! Your door is open,
      Lord, and no one is entering. Your glory is revealed, but no one pays
      attention. Your light shines out in the pupils of our eyes, but we
      are not willing to see. Your right hand is extended, ready to give,
      but there is no one there who takes from it. You entice us with all
      sorts of attractions, but we ignore them. You instill fear with
      terrors, which are nevertheless intermingled with mercy, but we do
      not flee to you. O our God full of mercy, urge yourself to force us
      to draw near to you. . . . .Remove our souls from prison for we have
      imprisoned ourselves, and bring us to the true light, even though we
      are unwilling. May your might put us in safe keeping. Remove, Lord,
      from before our sight all the veils by which our soul's vision is
      encumbered, preventing it from seeing your true light. May we stand
      naked, with open face, in that light continually and without
      interruption; may we continue in desire for, and delight in, its
      beauty, unto eternal ages. Amen.

      -- A selection from John the Elder,
      THE SYRIAC FATHERS ON PRAYER AND THE SPIRITUAL LIFE,
      Kalamazoo, MI: Cistercian Publications, 1987
    • Jaison
      Message 1039 of 1039 , Sep 21, 2011
        Dear all
        regards