An Appeal to Holy Synod - IS IT IS 2ND NOVEMBER, THE ACTUAL DATE OF DEMISE OF ST. GREGORIOS OF PARUMALA??

  • SOCM Moderators
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2010
      An Appeal to Holy Synod - IS IT IS 2ND NOVEMBER, THE ACTUAL DATE OF DEMISE OF ST. GREGORIOS OF PARUMALA??

      Respected Holy Synod members of the Malankara Syriac Orthodox Church,

      Barekmor.

      It is a known fact that Syrian Orthodox Church remembering the date of departing of the great Saint of Malankara Saint Gregorios Geevarghese of Parumala as "2nd November". The actual date of the Saint's heavenly abode may not be the 2nd November, but it may be on 4th or 05 November, as per the Malayalam calendar, and the time was in the early hours of that date. It seems a mistake that we the Syrian Orthodox Church remember the departure day as 2nd November. Our assumption is based on the following text from "Vissudha Edayan"

      Kochu Thirumeni's body was becoming weaker and weaker, and around five days before his death, he called one of his chief disciples, Vattasseril Geevarghese Malpan by the bed side and entrusted him with the keys and other documents. His Grace then told his esteemed colleagues that he will leave this world within a few days. Then for a couple of days he lay speechless. On the third day towards midnight he asked those standing nearby "What is the date today?". "Eighteenth" (as per Malayalam month) they said. "My Lord I must endure this pain for two more days", sighed His Grace. Holy Father actually new even the date of his death. Two days after, on the 20th, "Kantheela" (Syriac word for the Holy Sacrament of the sick) was celebrated for Thirumeni. At around midnight the same day, Thirumeni in a feeble voice said "Ente Karthave" (Oh My Lord!!!). Punnoose Ramban and other priests standing nearby, had the Prayers then and suddenly the Great Saint of Malankara left this world submitting his soul to his Father, the God. Eye witnesses testify that they saw a bright light as he lay breathing his last. (Source:-'Vissudha Edayan')
      Unquote

      As per the Malayalam calendar conversion available in the net @
      http://www.prokerala.com/general/calendar/index.php

      18th day of Thulam 1078 is Monday the 3rd November 1902
      20th day of Thulam 1078 is Wednesday the 5th November 1902

      We the moderators request our Holy Synod to look into the facts and appoint an Episcopal commission to find the correct date for the remembrance of the Saint.

      In Our Lord's Love
      SOCM Moderators