Baselios Paulose I ????

  • Chevalier Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2010
      Dear all

      The historians of Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church have once again cared not to read the canonical list of Maphrians before naming their new Catholicose.

      This distortion of lineage was purposefully fabricated in 1975 and the parrots repeat it in our times and the hierarchy is following it. I had pointed this out earlier in the posting in ICON message # 11395 in 2005.

      Baselios Paulose I (728 – 757) is the 8 th Catholicose / Maphriyono in the lineage of the Syriac Orthodox Church Maphrianate. He was ordained by Patriarch Mor Athanasius III of the Syriac Orthodox Church.

      In 1958, the Syriac Orthodox Church Patriarch presided over the canonical installation of the Catholicose in 1964. We in the Syriac Orthodox Church in Malankara welcomed the Catholicose when the post was accepted by a canonical Patriarch in a legal manner and fully cooperated with the Catholicose who then stood for the oneness of the Church. When he declared autocephaly we installed a canonical Catholicose (Late Lamented Catholicose Mor Baselios Paulose II http://catholicose.org/PauloseII/Biography.htm ) in the legitimate lineage of the Catholicate/Maphrianate of the East.

      If Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church claims as it has the succession of the Catholicate/Maphrianate of the Syriac Orthodox Church (in the Oriental Orthodox family of churches, and not the Church of the East), then in their succession line Baselius Poulose II would be none other than Murimattom Bava for them. So the present Catholicose should have been Baselius Poulose III not Baselius Poulose II.

      Once again the mistake is repeated to cover up the earlier mistake.

      In HIS Love
      Chevalier Thomas Daniel (Reji)
      # 0001
    • Mathew G M
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2010
        Again brethern, why are we accusing the IOC of not following the right name; look at our Shreta Catholica. He is Thomas I. If you look at the list of canonical Maphrians, there were three other 'Thomas' prior to him as the Maphiana. So why are we naming our Catholicose as 'Thomas I'.

        The time for childish things is over. We need to grow up, and act as grown ups. Instead on focusing on everything that is wrong with the other side, let us focus on what we can do for the spiritual growth of the members of our Church. At the end of the day, isnt that the very purpose of the Holy Church?

        In Christ,
        Mathew G M

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Chevalier Thomas Daniel wrote:

        > Dear all
        >
        > The historians of Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church have once again cared not to read the canonical list of Maphrians before naming their new Catholicose.

      • Chev. Thomas Daniel
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6, 2010
          Dear Mathew
          Shlomo

          In 1964 L.L Yacub III created a new line of Catholicoii of the East in India. His Holiness not made any statement that he was "transferring" the maphrianate of the East to India. H.H made clear the jurisdiction as well being constrained to India. With Aboon Mor Baselius Thomas I being titled Catholicos of India the distinction is even clearer. So neither of the parties have really any legitimate claim to the office of the Catholicose of the East which became defunct in the 1860s.

          You can argue about the title but clearly at no point has the Catholicos in Malankara ever exercised rights over the original primary jurisdiction of the Catholicos in the Middle East.