Re: Religious boundaries blurred

  • Jai Abe Cheriyan
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2010
      Dear member,

      I think Thirumeni could check with Hindu communities in Thiruvalla whether they are willing to take the doctor's body for cremation.He could attend the function then. I don't believe initiating a Hindu cremation was a perfect Christian act.

      Let me state some recent incidents which describe how the cooperation and respect with other religions could be achieved without sacrificing our belief.

      1. During the recent visit to India, Archbishop of Canterbury Rev.Rowan Williams was asked by an interviewer about pluralism and religions in India.

      Interviewer: When you say 'interconnected differences' are you saying 'unity in diversity?'

      Rev.Rowan Williams: The interconnection might suggest more than just 'unity in diversity'. Communities interact and affect each other-they don't just coexist. Let's see multiculturalism as something that's diverse-not divisive.

      2. Kollam diocese Metropolitan Mathews Mor Theodosius lead the vidhyarambham held at Michayel Mor Divannasios Dayara, Adoor. Many children from Kollam diocese learned their first letter from thirumeni.

      3. On Wednesday, 14th September, His Holiness Ignatius Zakka I Iwas participated in the Onam celebrations of Keralites (from Kerala, around 200 people attended the jubilee celebrations at Damascus) and blessed the person dressed as 'Mahabali'.

      4. Niranam Diocese of Jacobite Syrian Christian Church organized an Iftar in accordance with Ramzan enforcing the religious harmony existing in the state on 09 September 2010. Hundreds of people from different walks of life participated in the Iftar. Thantri Akeeraman Kaalidasa Bhattathiri inaugurated the function.

      5. Patriarch of Antioch and All the East Supreme Head of the Universal Syriac Orthodox Church Patriarch Mor Ignatios Zakka I Iwas held an Iftar banquet on August 31, Tuesday in the name of Christian denominations leaders in Syria in honor of Muslim scholars.

      6. In 1952, with the help of Indian officials Mother Teresa converted an abandoned Hindu temple into a Home for the Dying, a free hospice for the poor. She renamed it Nirmal Hriday, the Home of the Pure Heart. Those brought to the home received medical attention and were afforded the opportunity to die with dignity, according to the rituals of their faith; Muslims were read the Quran, Hindus received water from the Ganges, and Christians received the Last Rites.
      "A beautiful death," she said, "is for people who lived like animals to die like angels—loved and wanted."

      So, let me conclude with the thought, we should interact and collaborate with other religions without compromising the boundaries of our Christian faith.

      In HIS love,
      Jai Abe Cheriyan
      Id# 0914.