Re: Congratulations to New IOC Catholicos

  • Jai Abe Cheriyan
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2010
      Dear members,

      Let's congratulate the enthronement of Baselios Marthoma Paulose II as Catholicos and Malankara Metropolitan of the Indian Orthodox Church.Let's hope that he would stand for his words about conflict resolution.

      The following two events are examples of the necessity of both the SOC and IOC groups to realize and accept the fact that both are different Christian churches, eventhough they might be having same family history/ancestors, follow identical rituals and might even sharing same parishes.

      1. A prominent member of the Marthoma Syrian Church and also Kerala Council of Churches mentioned us(self and my brother, who is a priest in the JSO Church) couple of months back in a family get together, about the valedictory function of Sapthathi celebrations of Kerala Council of Churches concluded at Thiruvalla on August 21, 2010, in which His Beatitude Catholicos Dr. Baselios Thomas I delivered benedictory speech from Jacobite Syriac Orthodox Church, and H.B.Paulose Mar Milithios(currently Baselios Marthoma Paulose II) delivered benedictory speech from Indian Orthodox Church. He said that he was sitting in the front row of the audience, watching curiously the actions of both the bishops who were sitting in the dais close to each other, however got disappointed because could not find a courtesy smile or conversation between them, and wondering how can we expect peace from this behavior. There was some criticism in SOCM Forum also about the same, seeing the photos published in the forum.

      2. There was an interview with Baselios Marthoma Didymus I, the 'Valiya Bava' of IOC, on his 90th Birthday, by 'Manorama'. He was stating that though he wishes the unity of the Orthodox and Jacobite factions, is it very difficult to achieve now due to various reasons.

      So, let SOC and IOC interact with each other with dignity and mutual respect. The parish vicars and committee members have a major role in organizing inter-church activities (mainly social, biblical & cultural) like joint Christmas Carol etc. whereas the top leadership could consider giving up all court cases, and strengthen their Churches as separate, independent (in terms of rituals, church membership, parish activities and properties), at the same time inter-dependent (in terms of respecting people's wishes such as conduct prayers at the tombs of their departed relatives and visit the Holy places) Churches/denominations, which co-exist in harmony and grace.

      In HIS love,
      Jai Abe Cheriyan