NEW CATHOLICOS

  • Chev. Philip John
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2010
      Dear friends,

      1] During the last four decades, we have seen the Orthodox Church at Devalokam, Kottayam ordaining/installing Catholicos during the life time of the predecessor.

      2] Charge is usually handed over to the successor elect, Malankara Metropolitan.

      3] The Cochin Award is very clear= the Common Properties of the Syrian Christian Community can only be administered by the Metropolitan Trustee [ MALANKARA METROPOLITAN] and the two trustees[ PRIEST AND LAY MAN] elected by the Syrian Christian Community as a whole.

      The Metropolitan who has now assumed charge of the Common Properties of the Syrian Christian Community was never elected by the Syrian Christian Community as contemplated in the COCHIN AWARD OF 1840. Needless to say that the terms of the Cochin Award is binding on every single member of the Syrian Christian Community irrespective of factionalism,

      The new incumbent of the Orthodox Church, who will de facto take control of the Common Properties of the Syrian Christian Community [Samudayam Properties], cannot be considered as a Legally Valid, Metropolitan Trustee, consistent with the terms of the Cochin Award of, 1840.

      The members of the MALANKARA ORTHODOX CHURCH and the JACOBITE SYRIAN CHRISTIAN CHURCH, ARE ALL MEMBERS OF THE SYRIAN CHRISTIAN COMMUNITY contemplated in the COCHIN AWARD,1840.

      MALANKARA ORTHODOX CHURCH is a Division of the Syrian Orthodox Church under the Spiritual Headship of the Patriarch of Antioch [ See Article 1 of the 1934, Constitution of the said Church and the finding of Supreme Court of India at Paragraph 142[4]=AIR 1995 SC 2001]; The JACOBITE SYRIAN CHRISTIAN CHURCH IS ANOTHER DIVISION of the Syrian Orthodox Church under the Spiritual Headship of the Patriarch of Antioch.

      Regards,
      P J Philip, Kochi
      Member ID-0187
    • Johnson
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2010
        Dear All,

        Manorama projected the new Catholicose as the 91'st catholicose of the east. I have read that if the H.G Mor Ivaniose Murimattom was the successor of the ancient Maphrianate then the name should have been Baselious Paulose II instead of Baselious Paulose I. (it is also heard that the ill incumbent was taken on a four legged cot to the Altar of Niranam church and the ordination by the displaced Patriarch H.H Abded Messiah was done at gun point). When H.H Yakoob III of blessed memory ordained H.B Baselious Paulose II as Catholicose of the East in 1975 the correct and canonical Baselious Paulose II of the Maphrianate was born. Hence the claim of MOSC regarding the number is wrong. Also the name Paulose II is wrong.

        Let good will prevail with them. After all what is there in a name for them!! Isn't it?

        In HIS love,

        Johnson