The foundation on which the church is built - Is it St. Peter or his faith ?

  • Mathew George
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2010
      Dear Moderators & members,

      Since we are approaching the 'Koodosh Eatho' Sunday and a new church liturgical year, I was going through the reading from the H. Gospel for this coming Sunday. When I checked the various articles being written with reference to this particular passage from the H. Bible, I got a bit confused.

      I have always believed that the Syrian Church fathers consider St. Peter to be the foundation of the church. We have the Indian Orthodox group who have borrowed the teaching from other churches that the Church is built on the faith proclaimed by St. Peter. Even a few of our priests are also teaching similar views.

      I request knowledgeable members of this community to clear this doubt of mine - whether St. Peter is the foundation of the church or the faith proclaimed by him ?

      Thank you and best regards
      Mathew
      ID 4555
    • Mathew G M
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 28, 2010
        Dear Mathew,

        You need not have any doubt, the Church was established on the rock of the true faith proclaimed by St.Peter.

        These are not my words, but that of H.H Ignatius Zakka I, Patriarch of Antioch and all the East. H.H says this in his 1997 Patriarchal encyclical, about the sacrament of priesthood.

        http://syrianorthodoxchurch.org/library/patriarchal-encyclical-letters/sacrament-of-the-holy-priesthood/

        In it H.H clearly states that Christ "founded His Holy Church on the rock of true faith which was proclaimed by St. Peter the head of the Apostles."

        In Christ,
        Mathew G M