Re: Religious boundaries blurred

  • Georgey Thomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2010
      Dear Moderators,
      I would like to post my comment on the above mentioned article.

      Though I accept the fact that everything was done by the Thirumeni, Achen and the Sisters were out of respect to the doctor, it arises a question to each one of us. Was it right to do such a thing as a Christian, forget being a Christian as a Servant of the Almighty God.

      Please find attached my observation on this. What do you think?

      Regards
      Georgy
      3084

      >Religious boundaries blurred
      >Posted by: "SOCM News Bureau" SOCM News Bureau
      >Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:34 pm (PDT)
      >
      >Religious boundaries blurred
      >Radhakrishnan Kuttoor
      >
      >The Syro-Malankara Catholic Church, on Tuesday, set an example for >sparring religious groups by making arrangements for the cremation >of a doctor of the Pushpagiri Medical College (PMC) Hospital in >Thiruvalla as per Hindu rites. The initiative came from the >Metropolitan Archbishop of Thiruvalla Thomas Mar Coorilos, who asked >the PMC authorities to make funeral arrangements on the hospital >premises itself.
    • Jai Abe Cheriyan
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 30, 2010
        Dear member,

        I think Thirumeni could check with Hindu communities in Thiruvalla whether they are willing to take the doctor's body for cremation.He could attend the function then. I don't believe initiating a Hindu cremation was a perfect Christian act.

        Let me state some recent incidents which describe how the cooperation and respect with other religions could be achieved without sacrificing our belief.

        1. During the recent visit to India, Archbishop of Canterbury Rev.Rowan Williams was asked by an interviewer about pluralism and religions in India.

        Interviewer: When you say 'interconnected differences' are you saying 'unity in diversity?'

        Rev.Rowan Williams: The interconnection might suggest more than just 'unity in diversity'. Communities interact and affect each other-they don't just coexist. Let's see multiculturalism as something that's diverse-not divisive.

        2. Kollam diocese Metropolitan Mathews Mor Theodosius lead the vidhyarambham held at Michayel Mor Divannasios Dayara, Adoor. Many children from Kollam diocese learned their first letter from thirumeni.

        3. On Wednesday, 14th September, His Holiness Ignatius Zakka I Iwas participated in the Onam celebrations of Keralites (from Kerala, around 200 people attended the jubilee celebrations at Damascus) and blessed the person dressed as 'Mahabali'.

        4. Niranam Diocese of Jacobite Syrian Christian Church organized an Iftar in accordance with Ramzan enforcing the religious harmony existing in the state on 09 September 2010. Hundreds of people from different walks of life participated in the Iftar. Thantri Akeeraman Kaalidasa Bhattathiri inaugurated the function.

        5. Patriarch of Antioch and All the East Supreme Head of the Universal Syriac Orthodox Church Patriarch Mor Ignatios Zakka I Iwas held an Iftar banquet on August 31, Tuesday in the name of Christian denominations leaders in Syria in honor of Muslim scholars.

        6. In 1952, with the help of Indian officials Mother Teresa converted an abandoned Hindu temple into a Home for the Dying, a free hospice for the poor. She renamed it Nirmal Hriday, the Home of the Pure Heart. Those brought to the home received medical attention and were afforded the opportunity to die with dignity, according to the rituals of their faith; Muslims were read the Quran, Hindus received water from the Ganges, and Christians received the Last Rites.
        "A beautiful death," she said, "is for people who lived like animals to die like angels—loved and wanted."

        So, let me conclude with the thought, we should interact and collaborate with other religions without compromising the boundaries of our Christian faith.

        In HIS love,
        Jai Abe Cheriyan
        Id# 0914.