A golden opportunity: H.B Baselios Thomas I

  • SOCM
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2003
      The Jacobite Church Catholicos, Baselios Thomas I, while welcoming
      today's crucial High Court verdict, said this was a golden opportunity
      for peacefully resolving the church dispute.

      The Catholicos told presspersons that the verdict had upheld his
      faction's view on the independence of parish churches. He noted that
      the court had now allowed his faction to legally break away and form
      its own church. (The Jacobites had already formed the Jacobite Syrian
      Christian Church, but the Orthodox faction would not recognise them).

      The Catholicos pleaded with the rival faction to split the church and
      exist in peace as two separate churches. The two churches, existing as
      two entities, could better serve Christ, he felt.

      Source: www.thehindu.com 29th Jan 2003