Applications invited for BD and MTH at Gurukul Lutheran Theological College

  • SOCM Moderators
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2010
      Applications invited for BD & MTH at Gurukul Lutheran Theological College, Chennai under the quota of Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church, Chennai Diocese.

      Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Candidates who are interested to apply for these courses, please contact Rev. Fr. Dr. George Varghese.

      Contact Details:
      Rev Dr. George Varghese Asst Prof
      PH: 04425320095

      Date: From tomorrow October 7th 2010

      Qualification: Any Graduate with 60% Marks
    • Mathew G M
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2010
        Why are we sending our priests to protestant theological colleges for training? We should develop our own Syriac Orthodox Theological Seminary further and should have all our priests trained in the Syriac Orthodox tradition not under protestant colleges.

        Mathew G M
        0929
      • Rev. Fr. Jerry Kurian Kodiatt
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2010
          Please do note the Gurukul Lutheran College web site. The applications for different courses are available online http://www.gltc.edu/
          Regards, Jerry achen.

          (Fr. Jerry Kurian)
          I.D. no. 4500
        • Rev. Fr. Jerry Kurian
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 9, 2010
            Dear Mr.Mathew,

            I understand that you wish that our seminary in Kerala is developed further and all candidates for priesthood are trained there. There is nothing wrong in wishing so and all of us do wish the best for our seminary (MSOTS). But at present we do have constraints in the form of having theological teachers from our own church. Our seminary does not offer a Master level and doctoral level programme as of now. Because of this several of us have had to study in seminaries outside Kerala. This does not mean that an erosion of our church values, traditions and beliefs has occured. If that were so, all members of our church are prone to that, taking into consideration the social and religious fabric of our state, where we live among brothers and sisters of various faiths. To say that this will change us is a bit far fetched. There is also a misunderstanding of the word protestant in Kerala, whereby it is connected to the Pentecostal faith (I am not saying that you have used it in such a way). This is inaccurate.

            The Serampore system under which our seminary also comes, is a system which gives freedom to all denominations to pursue their own religiosity and faith. Just by studying in other colleges won't in my opinion be a problem for our church. Theological education in India itself is difficult to pursue and not funded by the church. Many of us have to go through various hardships to get to study. This has only led to the benefit of the church, as educated priests will be of great help to the church now and in the future. The Gurukul Lutheran College and the United Theological college among other colleges has helped our church grow by accomodating our students there and in some cases even helping them with their fees. So, as things stand, one should understand the larger picture and see the benefit of this for the church. I appreciate further discussions on this and hope we can have an open mind while going about it.

            Warm regards,
            Jerry achen.
            (Fr. Jerry Kurian)
            I.D. no. 4500