Re: Let Charity be our Greatest Aim

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2003
      CHARITY AND PRAISE

      I am propted to write this in response to the posting by Mr.Paul .
      He says that praising God is greater than charity. I would like to
      bring to your kind notice the following facts:

      1. Charity and Christian life are very closely inter related. It
      cannot be viewed separetely nor to be independantly achived. The root
      word of CHARITY is CARITAS in latin, meaning love. One cannot praise
      Lord without loving his brother.1John 4.20.If anyone says that he
      praises God and has no CHARITY to his brothren he will be a liar.
      So charity is the indispensible act of praise and faith.Matthew 25.31-46
      very clearly states that at the time of judgement the crucial criterion
      will be the CHARITY act of the devotees, not the MERE praises and the
      words of faith utterances. FAITH WITHOUT CHARITY AND CHARITY WITHOUT
      FAITH are both worthless. Let us try to combine both.

      2.Why should we try to speculate on the theme of entry to heaven. A
      few decades back it was a controvery among the Christians in Kerala to
      speculate on the theme whether Gandhiji wold go to heaven or not. If I
      remember correctly, it was Dr.Stanely Johns raised this issue at Maramon
      Convention.

      I am of the opinion that we are sitting on the judgement throne when we
      comment on this. Let God alone be the JUDGE. We all aim for the entry and
      venerable Mother Theraesa also aimed for this and worked far better than
      many of us in this persuit. Thousands has positive testimony about her in
      this presuit. I can't understand the rationale in raising any supicion
      against any good souls like Mother or anybody else in this issue. We must be
      positive in all our spiritual findings. True spirituality will find only the
      good of others.

      3.Heaven should not be our AIM. Don't misunderstand me for this statement.
      Our aim should be to submit ourselves before God, as Paul stated. Heaven and
      rewards are God's mercy. We cannot reach for it. We will be given , if God
      wills.

      May God bless us.
      Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil