Jacobite Church would go ahead with its proposed project... Who is the Orthodox faction scared of?

  • Rev. Fr. Jerry Kurian
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2010
      Dear moderators,

      The Orthodox Syrian church is fighting shadows. I was in Thiruvalla on Monday in St. George Simhasana church for a wedding. The wedding was conducted by Bava and assisted by three bishops. It could be that the Orthodox Syrian faction panicked when someone told them that Bava is in Thiruvalla. They may have thought that Bava along with the other bishops would reach Parumala to lay the stone for the church. The collector along with the police was alerted for a situation which never took place in the first place. No Jacobite member was in Parumala and neither was anyone intending to be there. One has to see through the sinister motives behind this. But I am sure that the Jacobite church will always abide by the law and peacefully make sure that their right to worship is not hijacked by anyone. Here are a few thoughts on this matter which will also take care of the concerns expressed by the Orthodox faction.

      1. It is does not matter how many members we have in Parumala. To set the record straight we do have 15-20 families in and around Parumala. We also can't forget that several Jacobites in many places, worship in Orthodox, Marthoma, Catholic and CSI churches for lack of Jacobite churches in the places they stay. Does this take away their right to belong to and worship in a Jacobite church?

      2. The Orthodox faction says that a Jacobite church will spoil peace and inter-religious harmony in Parumala. Is the Orthodox church scared of a huge number of Jacobites which they in the first place claim don't exist or are they scared of their own so called members going back to the Jacobite church? What is the basis of this fear that Parumala will become a contested land? Does the Orthodox faction know something we don't?

      3. There is an allegation that a Jacobite church will lead to hostilities during the festival of St. Gregorios. How many churches in Kerala have side by side festival celebrations with no problem whatsoever. Should we document and show case these again and again?

      4. If the Orthodox are in majority as they claim in Parumala, shouldn't the majority and powerful side be magnanimous and open minded when the Jacobites construct a church in Parumala? Do they seriously think that a small Jacobite church will take away the popularity of the Orthodox church there? Does one have to be so insecure?

      5. The Jacobite church has not asked its members to not go to Parumala church. Shouldn't the Orthodox church also then allow the same Jacobite church to build a church in their own land?

      6. Will a Jacobite church lead to less income for the Orthodox church in Parumala? Do not under estimate the open mindedness of our people! People will pay due respect in all ways to both churches, whenever that happens.

      7. The jurisdiction of the Orthodox church is limited to the property that they claim to own now. The public road and bridge belong to the government and the public at large.

      8. God does not belong to one particular community. A saint is also not one community's alone. A saint belongs to anyone who respects the saint. The Jacobite church has not started revering St. Gregorios off late. The church has done so from the time of the saint. It is not a new development done as a political move to bring in some said rewards. The move by certain communities to wall saints inside their compounds is an unhealthy trend. Will I have to pay royalty for the picture of St. Gregorios in my house?

      9. The right to worship is like the right to air and the right to water. No one can prevent this. Ofcourse one should not tramp over others in one's aspiration to worship. That apart, everyone has a right to worship her/his God.

      10. Peace has a chance if we try for it. Fear can only bring proxy wars and conflict. If Parumala is indeed the land of peace and communal harmony, then nothing will disturb that. But if this claim is hollow, the very claimants will disturb this claim.

      Warm regards, Jerry achen.
      Fr. Jerry Kurian
      I.D. no. 4500
    • Rev. Fr. Jomy Joseph
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 29, 2010
        Dear Jerry Achen

        Thanks for a modestly designed as well as crystal clear outlook regarding the construction of our church in Parumala. You have highlighted the fact, we are not for any fights, but for our right to have our own worship place. Its our constitutional right as a citizen of India. Hope the Govt authorities will not be hijacked away by false arguments and ...

        Fr. Jomy Joseph
        Switzerland