Re: Turkish history to sink to oblivion

  • Rev. Fr. Jerry Kurian
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 10, 2010
      Thank you J.M. Paul for pointing out the dam construction in Turkey. Despite the fact that the place is historically and culturally sensitive, it is sad that the government is going ahead with the dam project. Let me point out here that India is also going through the same phase of development which fails to see basic sensitivities of the people. It is here that the Jacobite Syrian Orthodox church can come together to discuss how governments in different countries use their power to oppress the people in the name of development. India also has stories of its people being submerged in the name of development. Some examples are the Narmada dam project, the silent valley project, the Tata Nano project and the Noida expressway to name a few. A recent relief was the negation of the Vedanta project to mine bauxite from the lands of the Dongria Kondhs. Any mining in this area will lead to the land of the native people being taken over and wiping out of their history. I feel that the Jacobite Syrian Christians should understand these issues and network with each other to express the collective protest of humanity against these forces of destruction.

      Also it is good that our bishops are taking part and engaging with people from different communities in a positive way. Two cases I point out are

      1. The World Congress of the International Association for Religious Freedom (IARF) at the Renewal Centre at Kochi with the theme 'Beyond conflict to reconciliation' attended by H.G. Kuriakose Theophilose and

      2. The Ifthar Sangamam organised by H.G. Gheevarghese Koorilose in
      Thiruvalla. These are very encouraging signs of the integration of the Jacobite Syrian church into the larger socio-religious reality that India really is.

      Thanks to those who provided the news and to SOCM as well.

      Warm regards. Jerry achen.
      (Fr. Jerry Kurian)
      I.D. no. 4500