Evagrius

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30, 2010
      He who wishes to pray truly must not only control his incisive power and his desire, but must also free himself from every impassioned thought.

      Evagrius, On Prayer, Philokalia Volume 1
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 21, 2011
        Picture both these states: lament and weep for the sentence passed on sinners; mourn while you are doing this, frightened that you too may be among them. But rejoice and be glad at the blessings that await the righteous, and aspire to enjoy them and to be delivered from the torments of hell.

        Evagrius
      • Mark Sedrak
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 15, 2012
          Hatred for the demons contributes greatly to our salvation and is convenient for working at virtue, though we are not strong enough by ourselves to rear it up like a good child. This is because the pleasure-loving spirits corrupt virtue and call the soul back to friendship and habit.

          Evagrius, On Thoughts