Ordination of Mor Augen as Catholicose by L.L. Patriarch Mr Yacoub111 in 1964

  • Mathew Chacko
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2010
      Dear All,

      Picture of Mor Augen Timothious Thirumeni reading salmoosa with white robe and sosappa head cover is published on several forum and Books ( Perumpilli thirumeni... - By Very Rev. Moolayil Achen) as something very significant. I agree it is significant as it is not the tradition of church when a Metropolitan is consecrated as Catholicose.

      I presume the author(s) is trying to establish Mor Augen was re ordained as Metropolitan during 1964 Catholicose consecration by L.L.Partriach Mor Yacoob 111. If so, could anyone please clear my doubts as below.

      1. Why was Mor Augen had to be re ordained during 1964 Catholicose consecration?

      2. What was the shortcoming of Mor Augen's first ordination by L.L.Patriarch Mor Elias III?

      3. Even if an expelled Metropolitan repents and come back to church, is it necessary to reordain him as per tradition and Canon?

      Your kind answers would be highly appreciated.

      May God Bless Us
      all

      Mathew Chacko, Dubai
      ID # 2382

      From the desk of moderators

      As we understand, it is specified in the canon that when a Metropolitan is elevated as Patriarch or a Catholicose he comes to the Holy Altar with his Metropolitan robes.

      But here it is seen without cope. This is seen as a rarity. Definitely a specification stipulated by His Holiness and the Universal Syriac Orthodox Synod as it was the re-establishment of the office of Maphrianate which was abolished in 1860 as per the decision of the Syriac Orthodox Church Synod held at Deyrul' al Zafran Monastery (Kurkkumo Dayro) under Patriarch Ignatius Ya`qub II.

      From the days of the re-establishment of this Maphrianate in India, the Church started to officially use the title ‘Catholicos of the East’, with his jurisdiction limited to India in the East. In 2002 the office of the Maphrianate was renamed ‘Catholicos of India’ in accordance with its actual jurisdiction.

      As It was not the independent Catholicose being enthroned by the Malankara Synod with participation from sister churches Mor Augen Timothious was willing to abide with that stipulation.

      It does not mean a re-ordination.

      We request our learned members to clarify this point.