John Chrysostom

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 4, 2010
      We who are disciples of Christ claim that our purpose on earth is to lay up treasures in heaven. Nevertheless, our actions often belie our words. Many Christian build up for themselves fine houses, lay out splendid gardens, build bathhouses, and buy fields. It is a small wonder then that many pagans refuse to believe what we say.

      John Chrysostom
      On Living Simply
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 4, 2010
        All good works are the fruit of charity...charity teaches us not only by words but also by deeds.

        John Chrysostom
        From: Daily Readings from the Writings of St. John Chrysostom
      • Mark Sedrak
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 9 6:40 PM
          The cause of all evils is the failure to know the Scriptures well.

          John Chrysostom, Ninth Homily on the Letter to the Colossians
        • Mark Sedrak
          Message 4 of 20 , May 16, 2011
            Christ is Risen! + Truly He is Risen!

            If on earth the honors for the martyrs are like these, what sort of crowns are woven for their holy heads in heaven after they depart here? If the glory is so great before the resurrection [of the dead], how great will the splendor be after the resurrection?

            John Chrysostom, A Homily on Julian the Martyr
            'Let us Die that We May Live'
          • Mark Sedrak
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 21, 2011
              Your children will always be sufficiently wealthy if they receive from you a good upbringing that is able to order their moral life and behavior. Thus,strive not to make them rich, but rather to make them pious masters of their passions, rich in virtues. Teach them not to think up illusory needs, reckoning their worth according to worldly standards. Attentively watch their deeds, their acquaintances and their attachments and do not expect any mercy from God if you do not fulfill this duty.

              John Chrysostom, Twenty-first Homily on the Epistle to the Ephesians
              On Marriage and Family Life
            • Mark Sedrak
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 7 12:30 PM
                How did the beast contain Jonah in its belly, without his perishing? Is the
                creature void of reason, and it's motions without control? How did it spare the
                righteous man? How was it that the heat did not suffocate him? How was it that
                it putrefied him not? For if to be in the deep only is past contriving, then
                certainly to be in both the creature's bowels and in that heat is very far more
                unaccountable. How did he breathe air in that place and he did the respiration
                suffice for two creatures? And how did it also vomit him forth unharmed? And how
                too did he speak? And how too was he self-possessed, and prayed? Are not these
                things incredible? If we test them by reasonings, they are incredible, if by
                faith, they are exceeding credible.

                John Chrysostom, Homily on Colossians
                From: The Lives of the Holy Prophets
              • Mark Sedrak
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 28 8:57 AM
                  At length the season moves towards the Lent of the Great Fast, and therefore, we ought the more earnestly devote ourselves to holiness.

                  John Chrysostom, Sermon on the Preparation for Great Lent
                  From: Daily Lenten Meditations for Orthodox Christians
                  http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/14023819/daily-lenten-meditations-for-the-orthodox

                  Also available as part of our 3 volume Lenten Special
                  http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/14023873/lenten-special-3-volumes
                • Mark Sedrak
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 4, 2012
                    If you pardon from the heart, and sincerely, God in like manner also pardons you.

                    John Chrysostom, Sermon on the Preparation for Great Lent
                    From: Daily Lenten Meditations for Orthodox Christians
                  • Mark Sedrak
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 30, 2012
                      Christ is Risen! + Truly, He is Risen!

                      The sea is surging and the waves are high; but we have nothing to fear because we stand on a rock – the rock of faith.

                      John Chrysostom
                      From: On Living Simply
                      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/8068345/on-living-simply
                    • Mark Sedrak
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 13, 2012
                        Some people, if they stumble at all, or are slandered by anyone or fall ill with a chronic disease, gout, or headache or such ailment, at once begin to blaspheme. They submit to the pain of the disease, but deprive themselves of the benefit. What are you doing, man blaspheming your benefactor, savior, protector, and guardian? Or do you not see that you are falling down a cliff and casting yourself into the pit of final destruction? You do not make your suffering lighter, do you, if you blaspheme? Indeed you aggravate it, and make your distress more grievous. For the devil brings a multitude of misfortunes for this
                        purpose, to lead you down into that pit.

                        John Chrysostom, on Wealth and Poverty, Third Sermon on Lazarus and the Rich Man

                        http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2332981/on-wealth-and-poverty-john-chrysostom
                      • Mark Sedrak
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 26, 2012
                          Let everything take second place to our care of our children, our bringing them
                          up to the discipline and instruction of the Lord. If from the beginning we
                          teach them to love true wisdom, they will have great wealth and glory than
                          riches can provide. If a child learns a trade, or is highly educated for a
                          lucrative profession, all this is nothing compared to the art of detachment
                          from riches; if you want to make your child rich, teach him this. He is truly
                          rich who does not desire great possessions, or surround himself with wealth,
                          but who requires nothing…Don’t think that only monks need to learn the Bible;
                          Children about to go our into the world stand in greater need of Scriptural
                          knowledge.

                          John Chrysostom, Homilies on Ephesians, Homily 21
                          On Marriage and Family Life
                          http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2332888/on-marriage-and-family-life-john-chrysostom
                        • Mark Sedrak
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 12, 2012
                            The priest is standing before the Holy Gate and exclaims: ‘Let us attend ...’,
                            many times in fact. However, this entreaty is the voice of the Church but most
                            people do not pay attention to it...‘Let us attend...’, ‘let us attend...’, and
                            no one attends.

                            Many say: We will hear the same things again... again and again.

                            Others again say: We do not understand anything they say...
                            How dare you say that whatever it is they read it is always the same, for you
                            know neither the names of the Prophets, nor the names of the Apostles, nor the
                            names of the Evangelists?

                            And again, how do you dare say that you do not understand
                            the sacred texts of the Readings during the Diving Liturgy,
                            when you do not study them at home at all? . . .

                            In order for us not to be ‘judged’, let us attend! Let us attend! Let us be
                            attentive!
                            ~ St. John Chrysostom

                            Protopresbyter Stephanos K Anagnostopoulos, Experiences During the Divine
                            Liturgy
                            http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/9775835/experiences-during-the-divine-liturgy
                          • Mark Sedrak
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 3, 2013
                              Christ is Risen! + Truly He is Risen!

                              Adorn your face, therefore, with modesty, piety, almsgiving, benevolence, love,
                              kindliness towards your husband, reasonableness, mildness, and forbearance.
                              These are the pigments of virtue; by these you draw not men but angels to you as
                              your lovers; for these you have God Himself to praise you. When God shall
                              approve of you, He will win over your husband to you in every way; for if wisdom
                              illumines the face of man, much more does virtue make the face of a woman shine
                              forth.

                              John Chrysostom, Baptismal Instructions, The True Adornment of Women
                              http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2358746/baptismal-instruction-john-chrysostom