Re:Onam @Church

  • Varghese George
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 3, 2010
      Hi Jinesh,

      You should not mix Onam and churh. It is just a group of malayalies
      gathering together ("Kootayima"). As a keralite it is our right to
      celebrate Onam.

      Usually outside kerala there are different types of malayali
      communities. Our churches outside kerala is also a malayali community.
      Its very difficult or costly to get a hall or auditorium to do these
      types of celebrations. Almost all the ouside Kerala churhces having a
      small auditorium or hall. Our kids should know the importance of Onam
      and they have to understand how we celebrated Onam in our childhood
      days.

      There is nothing wrong in celebrating a festival in our church premises.

      We use to celebrate VBS or christmas functions inside our church or
      church premises. Just consider is such a way. If somehing which help our
      kids to enjoy and celebrate then that is good.

      Please don't raise this type of silly things. Moderators please don't
      entertain this type of silly questions. There are lot of other issues to discuss.

      Regards
      Varghese
      Vazhamuttom.
      ========================
      From the desk of the Moderator:

    • Mathew Chacko
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 3, 2010
        Dear All,
        Peace be with You

        My little undestanding is,We are Hindus by culture (like Arabs,Turkish and Greek people),but Christians by faith. Our forefathers have wonderfully amalgamated culture and faith. We are the living examples and the old church buidings attest it. "Minnukettu" and "mantrakodi" are another two examples among many. Almighty God has granted us enough wisdom to draw line between culture and faith. So that one doesn't encroach another's territory. In order to carry forward our wise traditions we must celebrate Onam. We are Indans / Keralites and not any special breeds.

        May God Bless us

        Mathew Chacko
        ID#2383
      • Jinesh John
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 4, 2010
          Dear members

          thank you all for a worthy discussion regarding the various aspects of onam festival and it's relevance in church;let us conclude by affirming the fact that onam is an occasion for us to come together and glorify heavenly father for the blessings;let us celeberate onam upholding christian values;wishing all a Happy and blessed ONAM
          regards
          Jinesh John
          ID 4003
        • Jai Abe Cheriyan
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 4, 2010
            Yes, a kind gesture towards the underprivileged in our society during a national festival is true reflection of brotherhood and love, thus our Christian faith.

            I remember, the Youth Association of St. Gregorios Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church, Madiwala(Hosa Road), Bangalore, where I was a member, used to distribute food packets to the underprivileged during festivals like 'Ugadi'.This type of approaches towards other communities, and ofcourse healthy Onam/Christmas celebration in a Christian manner, would definitely a commendable social attitude of our Jacobite Church, by demonstrating Christian values, thus gaining communal harmony and friendship with other communities.Let our Church shine like a bright star in the society in the 21st century.

            Love in Christ,
            Jai Abe Cheriyan.
            ID # 0914