Re: Onam @Church

  • Cecil. K. Varghese
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 2 9:13 PM
      Jinesh,

      Onam is considered as the national festival of our state. Outside Kerala churches are celebrating Onam in the church because they are away from home land and the church is the best place for them to celebrate. Even in Kerala we do not make attapoo kalm in our house like Hindu families doing. We are just enjoying the day with vegetarian food only. There is no harm to move according to our situations, for example before some years our "Bishops or any other dayaraya pattakkar" were not observing birthday celebrations because it is worldly celebration. Now they are also accepting to cut the cake and celebrate their birth days because we want to celebrate their birthdays. Onam celebration is not observing inside our churches so I believe it is okay to celebrate a national
      festival of our state in our churches.

      Cecil. K. Varghese
      ID# 890
    • Varghese George
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 3 2:31 AM
        Hi Jinesh,

        You should not mix Onam and churh. It is just a group of malayalies
        gathering together ("Kootayima"). As a keralite it is our right to
        celebrate Onam.

        Usually outside kerala there are different types of malayali
        communities. Our churches outside kerala is also a malayali community.
        Its very difficult or costly to get a hall or auditorium to do these
        types of celebrations. Almost all the ouside Kerala churhces having a
        small auditorium or hall. Our kids should know the importance of Onam
        and they have to understand how we celebrated Onam in our childhood
        days.

        There is nothing wrong in celebrating a festival in our church premises.

        We use to celebrate VBS or christmas functions inside our church or
        church premises. Just consider is such a way. If somehing which help our
        kids to enjoy and celebrate then that is good.

        Please don't raise this type of silly things. Moderators please don't
        entertain this type of silly questions. There are lot of other issues to discuss.

        Regards
        Varghese
        Vazhamuttom.
        ========================
        From the desk of the Moderator:

      • Mathew Chacko
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 3 11:22 PM
          Dear All,
          Peace be with You

          My little undestanding is,We are Hindus by culture (like Arabs,Turkish and Greek people),but Christians by faith. Our forefathers have wonderfully amalgamated culture and faith. We are the living examples and the old church buidings attest it. "Minnukettu" and "mantrakodi" are another two examples among many. Almighty God has granted us enough wisdom to draw line between culture and faith. So that one doesn't encroach another's territory. In order to carry forward our wise traditions we must celebrate Onam. We are Indans / Keralites and not any special breeds.

          May God Bless us

          Mathew Chacko
          ID#2383
        • Jinesh John
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 4 1:11 AM
            Dear members

            thank you all for a worthy discussion regarding the various aspects of onam festival and it's relevance in church;let us conclude by affirming the fact that onam is an occasion for us to come together and glorify heavenly father for the blessings;let us celeberate onam upholding christian values;wishing all a Happy and blessed ONAM
            regards
            Jinesh John
            ID 4003
          • Jai Abe Cheriyan
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 4 11:09 AM
              Yes, a kind gesture towards the underprivileged in our society during a national festival is true reflection of brotherhood and love, thus our Christian faith.

              I remember, the Youth Association of St. Gregorios Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church, Madiwala(Hosa Road), Bangalore, where I was a member, used to distribute food packets to the underprivileged during festivals like 'Ugadi'.This type of approaches towards other communities, and ofcourse healthy Onam/Christmas celebration in a Christian manner, would definitely a commendable social attitude of our Jacobite Church, by demonstrating Christian values, thus gaining communal harmony and friendship with other communities.Let our Church shine like a bright star in the society in the 21st century.

              Love in Christ,
              Jai Abe Cheriyan.
              ID # 0914