Re:Onam @Church

  • Dawn Varghese
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 2, 2010
      Hi  dear members!

      The discussion regarding Onam "celebrations" in our Holy churches could indeed be a controversial one. This is because, of the possible clash between the two styles of thinking, viz. -traditional orthodox way of thinking and the new generation mode of thinking.

      Although Onam has a mythology behind it, it is the traditional festival of Kerala. Celebrating it in the Kerala style, commemorating our culture and traditions could be providing a nostalgic and nourishing experience, especially to those abroad. The thing is that, it should be wisely used as an opportunity for sharing the joy and spreading brotherhood in our churches too.

      But, the problem comes, when it is turns out into an occasion for mere celebration and extravaganza. Floral carpets and Onam feast are the key features of Onam celebrations.

      I think there's no need at all for the first one- to make floral carpets in the church compounds, spending huge sums.   This is the situation where Christian values are sacrificed. The second one-Onam feast could be well-utilized. We could assign a small amount for arranging a feast for the underprivileged.

      Strikingly, there are churches which spent good amounts for giving food for the poor every Onam. Last year, the youth organization of one of our churches in the Kandanadu diocese did such an appreciable deed. They spent the Onam day with the children of an orphanage, providing them good food and dress. I think that could be the best way to celebrate Onam in the Christian style.

      May God Almighty bless us all!
      Regards, Dawn Baby Varghese, Puthencruz.
    • Cecil. K. Varghese
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 2, 2010
        Jinesh,

        Onam is considered as the national festival of our state. Outside Kerala churches are celebrating Onam in the church because they are away from home land and the church is the best place for them to celebrate. Even in Kerala we do not make attapoo kalm in our house like Hindu families doing. We are just enjoying the day with vegetarian food only. There is no harm to move according to our situations, for example before some years our "Bishops or any other dayaraya pattakkar" were not observing birthday celebrations because it is worldly celebration. Now they are also accepting to cut the cake and celebrate their birth days because we want to celebrate their birthdays. Onam celebration is not observing inside our churches so I believe it is okay to celebrate a national
        festival of our state in our churches.

        Cecil. K. Varghese
        ID# 890
      • Varghese George
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 3, 2010
          Hi Jinesh,

          You should not mix Onam and churh. It is just a group of malayalies
          gathering together ("Kootayima"). As a keralite it is our right to
          celebrate Onam.

          Usually outside kerala there are different types of malayali
          communities. Our churches outside kerala is also a malayali community.
          Its very difficult or costly to get a hall or auditorium to do these
          types of celebrations. Almost all the ouside Kerala churhces having a
          small auditorium or hall. Our kids should know the importance of Onam
          and they have to understand how we celebrated Onam in our childhood
          days.

          There is nothing wrong in celebrating a festival in our church premises.

          We use to celebrate VBS or christmas functions inside our church or
          church premises. Just consider is such a way. If somehing which help our
          kids to enjoy and celebrate then that is good.

          Please don't raise this type of silly things. Moderators please don't
          entertain this type of silly questions. There are lot of other issues to discuss.

          Regards
          Varghese
          Vazhamuttom.
          ========================
          From the desk of the Moderator:

        • Mathew Chacko
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 3, 2010
            Dear All,
            Peace be with You

            My little undestanding is,We are Hindus by culture (like Arabs,Turkish and Greek people),but Christians by faith. Our forefathers have wonderfully amalgamated culture and faith. We are the living examples and the old church buidings attest it. "Minnukettu" and "mantrakodi" are another two examples among many. Almighty God has granted us enough wisdom to draw line between culture and faith. So that one doesn't encroach another's territory. In order to carry forward our wise traditions we must celebrate Onam. We are Indans / Keralites and not any special breeds.

            May God Bless us

            Mathew Chacko
            ID#2383
          • Jinesh John
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 4, 2010
              Dear members

              thank you all for a worthy discussion regarding the various aspects of onam festival and it's relevance in church;let us conclude by affirming the fact that onam is an occasion for us to come together and glorify heavenly father for the blessings;let us celeberate onam upholding christian values;wishing all a Happy and blessed ONAM
              regards
              Jinesh John
              ID 4003
            • Jai Abe Cheriyan
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 4, 2010
                Yes, a kind gesture towards the underprivileged in our society during a national festival is true reflection of brotherhood and love, thus our Christian faith.

                I remember, the Youth Association of St. Gregorios Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church, Madiwala(Hosa Road), Bangalore, where I was a member, used to distribute food packets to the underprivileged during festivals like 'Ugadi'.This type of approaches towards other communities, and ofcourse healthy Onam/Christmas celebration in a Christian manner, would definitely a commendable social attitude of our Jacobite Church, by demonstrating Christian values, thus gaining communal harmony and friendship with other communities.Let our Church shine like a bright star in the society in the 21st century.

                Love in Christ,
                Jai Abe Cheriyan.
                ID # 0914