Re: Blessings - Syriac tradition

  • Jai Abe Cheriyan.
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2010
      Dear Mathew Chacko,

      I am not a learned member;however would like to express my view here.

      The spiritual superiors also need prayers from us and blessings from God; they even request our prayers (please remind what the priest/leader who conduct the Holy Qurbana tells to the people at the end). In my personal life I have the habit of praying for the Saints/others whenever I seek prayers from them.

      Love in Christ,
      Jai Abe Cheriyan.
      ID # 0914
    • Dr. Thomas Joseph
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2010
        Mathew -

        You are very likely familiar with the hymn before the epiclesis in the Anaphora,

        raHem a‛layn aloho abo aHeed kul.
        lokh m-shabHeenan.
        lokh m-barkheenan.
        lokh sogdeenan.
        w-bo‛eynan menokh moryo aloho.
        Hus Tobo wethraHam‛layn.

        (In Malayalam translation, prose - "sarva shakthiyulla daivamaya karthavae...," hymn - "sarvadhipanam karthavae...")

        The third line 'lokh m-barkheenan' means 'We bless thee." (1st person plural present tense of the Pa`el form of the Syriac root - beth-reesh-koph. The word 'barekhmor(y)' has the same root.)

        In Malayalam prose translation, this is "...njangal ninne sthuthikkukayum, vazhthukayum, vandikkukayum cheyyunnu ..." (The hymn form loosely translates "vazhthukayum" to "pukazhchayum angaekku.")

        If the faithful can 'bless' God, why can't they bless their consecrated shepherds?

        Having said this, the Syriac tradition teaches that blessings ultimately come from God. When a Syriac Orthodox person (lay or ordained) meet or address a priest or bishop, the tradition is to greet them with the word 'barekhmor.' In humility, they respond, 'aloho n-barekh,' i.e., 'God will bless."

        So, we have to approach these matters with discernment - there is not one obvious answer!

        b-hoobeh d-moran (In the love of the Lord),

        Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
        Tech. Editor, Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies [ http://bethmardutho.cua.edu/Hugoye/ ]
        Web Master, Syriac Orthodox Resources [ http://sor.cua.edu/ ]
        ID: 0202