Prayerfull wishes to our beloved Catholicos

  • Paul Varghese
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 22, 2010
      Dear All,

      The Vicar, Managing Committee and the parishioners of St. Peter's Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church in Bahrain extend our humble prayers and felicitations to Aboon Mor Baselius Thomas I, the Catholicose of India, on His Beatitudes 82nd birthday. May God abunduntly bless our Catholicose with health and long life to lead us into His Kingdom.

      With prayers,

      Paul Varghese
      Hon. Secretary.
    • Mathew Chacko
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 28, 2010
        Dear All,

        Correct me if I am wrong, We Syriac Jacobite / Orthodox Christians only seek and receive blessings of our spiritual superiors and not vice versa.It is our belief that the God Almighty lays His invisible hand along with visible hands of priests and high priests.We always seek and pray for blessings from them and its improper to say them may God Bless you.

        Valuable in put from learned members would be highly appreciated.

        May God Bless us

        Mathew Chacko
        ID#2382

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Paul Varghese wrote:

        > Dear All,
        >
        > The Vicar, Managing Committee and the parishioners of St. Peter's Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church in Bahrain extend our humble prayers and felicitations to Aboon Mor Baselius Thomas I, the Catholicose of India, on His Beatitudes 82nd birthday. May God abunduntly bless our Catholicose with health and long life to lead us into His Kingdom.
        >
        > With prayers,
        >
        > Paul Varghese
        > Hon. Secretary.
      • Jai Abe Cheriyan.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31, 2010
          Dear Mathew Chacko,

          I am not a learned member;however would like to express my view here.

          The spiritual superiors also need prayers from us and blessings from God; they even request our prayers (please remind what the priest/leader who conduct the Holy Qurbana tells to the people at the end). In my personal life I have the habit of praying for the Saints/others whenever I seek prayers from them.

          Love in Christ,
          Jai Abe Cheriyan.
          ID # 0914
        • Dr. Thomas Joseph
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 31, 2010
            Mathew -

            You are very likely familiar with the hymn before the epiclesis in the Anaphora,

            raHem a‛layn aloho abo aHeed kul.
            lokh m-shabHeenan.
            lokh m-barkheenan.
            lokh sogdeenan.
            w-bo‛eynan menokh moryo aloho.
            Hus Tobo wethraHam‛layn.

            (In Malayalam translation, prose - "sarva shakthiyulla daivamaya karthavae...," hymn - "sarvadhipanam karthavae...")

            The third line 'lokh m-barkheenan' means 'We bless thee." (1st person plural present tense of the Pa`el form of the Syriac root - beth-reesh-koph. The word 'barekhmor(y)' has the same root.)

            In Malayalam prose translation, this is "...njangal ninne sthuthikkukayum, vazhthukayum, vandikkukayum cheyyunnu ..." (The hymn form loosely translates "vazhthukayum" to "pukazhchayum angaekku.")

            If the faithful can 'bless' God, why can't they bless their consecrated shepherds?

            Having said this, the Syriac tradition teaches that blessings ultimately come from God. When a Syriac Orthodox person (lay or ordained) meet or address a priest or bishop, the tradition is to greet them with the word 'barekhmor.' In humility, they respond, 'aloho n-barekh,' i.e., 'God will bless."

            So, we have to approach these matters with discernment - there is not one obvious answer!

            b-hoobeh d-moran (In the love of the Lord),

            Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
            Tech. Editor, Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies [ http://bethmardutho.cua.edu/Hugoye/ ]
            Web Master, Syriac Orthodox Resources [ http://sor.cua.edu/ ]
            ID: 0202