Posting in IOC forum: Is it correct?

  • Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2003
      Dear Members of the Forum,

      Recently I read a posting on the IOIF written by one Prof. Joseph K
      Alexander. In one of the paragraphs he writes:
      All these cases that cited above happened in the Malankara
      Church because of many actions of the Antiochian Patriarch.
      Excommunications

      1. The first excommunication was applied on 21-9-1843 on Cheppad
      Dionysius the ruling Malankara Metropolitan to install in his
      place Palakunnath Mathews Mar Athanasios ordained by himself.

      2. The second was 32 years later in 1875. Patriarch
      excommunicated Palakunnath Mar Athanasios to install in his
      throne Pulikottil Mar Joseph Dionysius.

      3. The third was 14 years later in 1889 when the Royal court
      Judgment denied temporal powers to the Patriarch. So Pulikottil
      Mar Dionysius II, was excommunicated on the plea that he did
      not do the needful in getting proper judgment.
      I have some questions about the accuracy of these statements.

      1. Was Cheppad Mar Dionysius Thirumeni ever excommunicated by the
      Patriacrh ?

      2. Was Pulikottil Mar Dionysius II thirumeni ever excommunicated by
      the Patriarch in 1889 ?

      Mathew
      From the desk of moderators
      We don't believe that either of these are accurate.
      Cheppad Mar Dionysius Thirumeni or Pulikottil Thirumeni
      were never excommunicated by the Patriacrh.
      Respected members of SOCM forum are welcome to comment on this.