His Holiness consecrated St. Thomas Syriac Orthodox Cathedral, London

  • Malankara Syriac Voice
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 6, 2010
      His Holiness consecrated St. Thomas Syriac Orthodox Cathedral, London

      His Holiness installed the Holy Relics of St. Thomas, brought from Mosul, at the Cathedral

      * Messages of Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth, The Right Hon. Dr. Gordon Brown and Most Rev. Rowan Williams, Archbishop of Canterbury were read.

      LONDON: His Holiness Patriarch Ignatius Zakka I Iwas consecrated St. Thomas Syriac Orthodox Cathedral on July 03, Saturday here. The Cathedral, situated at 7-11 Armstrong Road, Acton, London, W3 7JL, had been built in a mere six months at the cost of around 1.8 million pounds. The Church is situated on the first floor with a spacious community hall below it and offices and clergy living accommodation upstairs. Metropolitans Their Eminences Mor Philoxenos Mathias Nayis (Assistant to the Patriarch), Dr. Mor Coorilos Aphrem Karim Archbishop, Eastern USA), Mor Athanasius Touma Dokkoma (Patriarchal Vicar, Great Britain) assisted His Holiness.

      His Holiness Patriarch Zakka was borne into the Cathedral on his throne, carried on the shoulders of several burly deacons, whilst the congregation clapped, the women ululated and the children threw flower petals. The proceedings opened with words of welcome and the gratitude of the community (largely Syriac Orthodox from Iraq) expressed in their warm statements about British hospitality and the singing of the British National Anthem. Among messages received were one from Her Majesty The Queen, The Right Hon. Dr. Gordon Brown and the Archbishop of Canterbury, Most Rev. Rowan Williams. The Patriarch was accompanied by a large retinue of Syriac Orthodox metropolitans and clergy and relics of St. Thomas had been brought from Mosul for the new Cathedral. Among the ecumenical guests were HE Archbishop Gregorios of Thyateira (Ecumenical Patriarchate), HE Metropolitan John of Western & Central Europe (Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch), the Archbishop of Westminster (Mgr. Vincent Nichols) and the Bishop of Gibraltar in Europe (Right Rev’d Geoffrey Rowell). The Oriental Orthodox clergy, who joined the Syriac Metropolitans in the sanctuary, included HE Archbishop Antonios of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church) and from the Coptic Orthodox Church HE Metropolitan Seraphim
      (who read the Epistle in English), HG Bishop Missael of Birmingham, HG Bishop Antony of Scotland, Ireland & NE England, HG Bishop Elia of Khartoum and HG Bishop Angaelos (General Bishop for UK). A number of priests from the Coptic, Ethiopian, Eritrean, Armenian and Malankara churches were also present.

      View Photos
      http://malankarasyriacvoice.com/Albums/ConsecrationofStThomasCathedralLondonJuly2010byHisHoliness/index.html
    • Robin J. Mani
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 7, 2010
        Dear Brothers,

        I was interested to know about our famous Church, St. Adai's Jacobite Syrian Orthdox Church(Nalunnakkal Valiyapalli). The website of the church does not work and I have never been able to find any information regarding the church. I know our beloved Coorilose Thirumeni is a member of this church. If possible please tell us about the history of the church and its current situation. Thank you and looking forward to
        hearing back from everyone.

        Yours in Christ,
        Robin J. Mani
        St. Paul's Syriac Orthodox Church, PA
        2364
      • Mathew George
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 7, 2010
        • H.E Geevarghese Mor Coorilos
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 9, 2010
            Robin J. Mani

            I am copying this to Moolelachan with the hope that he would help with this request

            Coorilos thirumeni
          • Robin J. Mani
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 10, 2010
              Dear Coorilose Thirumeni,

              Thank you very much, Thirumeni, for forwarding the request to Moolelachan. Looking forward to reading about St. Adai's Church.

              Yours in Christ,
              Robin J. Mani
              St. Paul's Syriac Orthodox Church, PA
              2364
            • Jaison Puthenpurayil
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 26, 2010
                Dear Robin
                There is an article about Nalunnakkal church in Sunday Vision Magazine (Sept 16-30 Internet Edition)
                Please visit this link
                http://sundayvision.net/
                with prayers
                Jaison Kuwait